Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Two workers die at Fukushima plant

The Hindu : News / International : Two workers die at Fukushima plant

According to NOAA debris from Fukushima will begin washing up on Oregon shores in one year.

Quote:
The Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) and the IAEA on Sunday announced the death of two workers at the site of the quake-and-tsunami-hit Fukushima Daiichi atomic energy plant. Neither side spelt out the exact cause of the deaths.

In a regular update on the Fukushima situation, the IAEA said, without comment, Japan's ?Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency reported that the two employees were found dead? in the turbine building of Unit 4 on March 30. The plant was devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Tepco chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata said in a statement: ?We lost two young employees who were working to protect the safety of the Fukushima power station after the earthquake and the tsunami ?. We will work to avoid a similar tragedy in the future.? In yet another statement, the company said the two workers, assigned an inspection task, had been ?missing? since the March 11 quake and tsunami. Tepco had previously reported an ?explosive sound? and consequential damage at Unit 4 on March 15.

Continuous leakage of radioactive substances from the entire Fukushima Daiichi complex has been confirmed by the Japanese authorities for over two weeks now. And efforts to plug one of the detected outlets ? a 20-cm. crack in the concrete wall of pit at Unit 2 ? continued on Sunday, with senior officials expressing concern and declining to set a timeline for ending the radiation crisis.
Two workers die at Fukushima plant-japan-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-nukes-photo-001.jpg 

Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM  

It is a sad situation. If we in the US develop cancer as a result of the excess radiation, I'm wondering if we could sue the pants off that country?

Yeah, I didn't think so!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Cherbobyl killed 6000 mostly from thyroid cancers. I doubt there were lawsuits.

The only think I'm really concerned about is my own allergy to iodine. I can't load up on it to protect myself.

What we get initially may be within health limits but I suspect tainted waste water will be adding to the quantity for months to come.

I did recently hear that all retired reactors are essentially dead zones. The US has 140 of them. Cheap electricity while alive these beasts are an expensive long term problem. We still have no nuclear waste dump to house spent fuel. Yuma fell through.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:14 PM  

Living on the West Coast, high radiation levels are popping up in our water, food supply and milk products already. Being as old as I am, I'm not much worried about it, but my kids and grandkids will suffer with potentual birth defects and increased cancer for years to come.

I know Japan has the best scientists available to them, but because of pride, they hesitate allowing outsiders in to help them.

Yeah, this is bad and getting worse everyday!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Living on the West Coast, high radiation levels are popping up in our water, food supply and milk products already. Being as old as I am, I'm not much worried about it, but my kids and grandkids will suffer with potentual birth defects and increased cancer for years to come.

I know Japan has the best scientists available to them, but because of pride, they hesitate allowing outsiders in to help them.

Yeah, this is bad and getting worse everyday!
Well, and the issues present in allowing outsiders. Proprietary technologies and what not.

I'm sorry there has been loses, but I think considering the history of disasters of this type I'm grateful it's not worse.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM  
fustrated genius

It doesn't sound like radiation poisening was the cause of death, as is implied, to me. A most likely scenerio is that an explosion or perhaps the tsunami may have killed them. I don't think I would start stocking up on Iodine either and especially don't think I'ld start gobbling it down like coolaid just yet either. I am not afraid of nuclear power. I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks it is, even in the wake of these horrible events unfolding in Japan. What DOES scare me is that Japan is (was) the most well prepared, most technologically advanced nation in the world in earth quake preparedness. Can you immagine the havoc a quake of this magnitude would cause on the western US coast? It a scarey thought and I know we are overdue.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I am not afraid of nuclear power. I don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks it is, even in the wake of these horrible events unfolding in Japan. What DOES scare me is that Japan is (was) the most well prepared, most technologically advanced nation in the world in earth quake preparedness. Can you immagine the havoc a quake of this magnitude would cause on the western US coast? It a scarey thought and I know we are overdue.
Oregon admits it only became aware of tsumnamis in 1994. Prior to that they knew intellectually but Oregon was then regarded as inactive as far as quakes were concerned.

Portland and Seattle will be lost to an 8 or above.

After the Gulf spill I re-examined my feelings about nukes. I thought in the short term they could cut fossil fuel use and be worth the dangers.

I no longer view it as viable. Japan has 74 reactors and the US has twice that. France is 75% nuclear.
How can we trust the future to guard the spent fuel and spend $$$ to keep old reactors entombed for 5000 to 10,000 years?

The US still has no safe storage site since Yuma Mountain fell through. Nukes are beyond our abilities to keep safe over the time required to nuetralize it.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM  

I thought Copper Mountain in the desert in the S/E quadrant of California was a nuke dumping ground?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM  
fustrated genius

But more people die in auto accidents and we keep plugging along making them safer. As we will soon see, dams don't last forever either and when they break, people die just as dead, solar and wind is just as bad to the enviroment, taking thousands of acres away from endangered species, etc. Off shore drilling isn't the culprit, the culprit is rich companies taking short cuts to become richer yet, at our expense, nuclear fission is not the culprit either. Make it safer, not eliminate. Until we have better sources, we need nuclear. San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station and Diablo Canyon Nuclear Generating Station both are time bombs sitting on or near faults. They are operated safely and pose no major threat UNLESS we have a big quake and tsunami too. Then we have problems that will dwarf Japan's catastrophe in conjunction with 100K deaths instead of 12-15 thou. But the radiation problems, like those in Japan, are nothing compared to the initial disaster of the quake and tsunami.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
dams don't last forever either and when they break, people die just as dead, solar and wind is just as bad to the enviroment, taking thousands of acres away from endangered species, etc.
Dam failures seem a thing of the past. We had plenty of those but not recently.

I don't understand your position that solar and wind are harmful. Solar is on top of buildings, not on game preserves. The only negative I've heard about wind power is that migrating blackbirds get killed. The only reason we have starlings is some idiot who loved Shakespeare thought America should have all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's writings.

I see wind power on ridgelines mostly.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!