Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I started getting under my deck and sure enough there is a massive burrow.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
.22 cb

Quote:
I've never tried or heard of CB caps.
First time I needed to teach a Texan about ammo.

A .22 short still has too much crack for clandestine use. My weapon of choice in this situation is usually a multiple pump pellet gun but sometimes a simple CB cap is easiest. The CB is subsonic thus no crack.

Wiki:
HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB
Quote:
.22 CB Cap (Conical Ball Cap, known as a 6mm Flobert in Europe) is a variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition which has a very small propellant charge (usually no gunpowder, just the primer), resulting in a low muzzle velocity of between 350 and 700 ft/s (110 to 210 m/s).[2] This is similar to the muzzle velocity produced by a low to mid-power .22 pellet gun, however the bullet from a .22 CB cartridge is significantly heavier than a typical airgun pellet and therefore carries more energy. Due to their low power, CB rounds can be trapped by most pellet gun traps. In longer rifle barrels the CB has a very quiet, seemingly non-existent report due to the lack of residual pressure at the muzzle (see Internal ballistics).
The original .22 CB cartridge has the same case as the .22 BB, but there are now low-power .22 rounds sold as .22 CB Short and .22 CB Long which come in the more common .22 rimfire cartridge cases. The longer cases will allow the rounds to be fired in magazine fed firearms, in which the tiny CB Cap cases would jam. So while having the same length, the modern .22 CB Short and the .22 Short are two different cartridges. The CB has a reduced powder load and is kept (as mentioned above) between 350 and 700 ft/s, while the Short with an increased powder amount launches the same 29gr bullet around and above 1000 ft/s.

Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
29 gr (1.9 g) RN 727 ft/s (222 m/s) 33 ft?lbf (45 J)
30 gr (1.9 g) RN 725 ft/s (221 m/s) 34 ft?lbf (46 J)
Specifications

Case length:
Cap: 0.284 in (7.2 mm)
Short: 0.423 in (10.7 mm)
Long: 0.595 in (15.1 mm)
Bullet weight:
typically 20 to 29 grains (1.30 to 1.88 g)

I find the CCI brand the most commonly available but almost all brands are pretty much identical. The lead fell out of one brand's caps so I used clear enamel to hold them in place. You could probably make your own mini-shotgun shells from .22 shot shells and wax.

I think they were developed for indoor target practice and pest control.

Quote:
References

^ Cartridges of the World 11th Edition, Book by Frank C. Barnes, Edited by Stan Skinner, Gun Digest Books, 2006, ISBN 0-89689-297-2 pp. 490, 492
^ Cartridges of the World 11th Edition, Book by Frank C. Barnes, Edited by Stan Skinner, Gun Digest Books, 2006, ISBN 0-89689-297-2 p. 476
Quote:
CB AND BB CAPS

I have used a number of CB caps. Most of them are silent in 22 rifles. And very low in sound from decent length handgun barrels. The Eley wadcutter shape in dry phone books penetrates the best with near 550 pages. The Aguila ?No Powder 22RFs? penetrated the lest at 320 pages...and CCI CB caps came in at 412 pages from rifles. Out of handguns the Aguila was the quietest...CCI had a snapping sound and Eley sounded like a kid?s cap pistol. Again accuracy seemed to have more to do with the gun?s appetite than anything else. Though if I had to prioritize, Eley would be first in everything...accuracy, power, excellent nose shape...Aguila next for accuracy, it?s 20 grain bullet is pointed so in pest flesh it does quite well, and the CCI last. Strange as it may seem, Aguila?s SniperSubSonic ammo with it?s 60 grain bullet and much more power, sounds about the same as CB caps from handguns. And it doesn?t drop from the point of aim out to 25 to 40 yards like the other CBs do. And carries a great deal more energy. When CBs, Subsonic and such are ACU?RZED the diameter of the bullet is enlarged giving better accuracy because they come out of the tool perfectly round, but also the extra friction ups the velocity and striking energy.

The Aguila ?No Powder? ammo has something else going for it, it is in long rifle cases...I like that...less fouling in the 22 chambers. CCI makes a CB cap long, I had no luck with it in anything. Certainly the noses I reformed and others on the CB caps had a very noticeable change in killing power on garbage birds. I don?t like Starlings, they have very bad habits and are very dirty birds, they carry a variety of diseases that hurt house hold pets more than people. Their only reason for existence is for bullet testing.
HTML Code:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/specialty22.htm
$6.52 @ Cheaperthandirt

Quote:
Relevance Seller rating Condition Tax and shipping (estimated) Total price Base price
MidwayUSA 7,807 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $16.55 $53.54 $36.99
CheaperThanDirt 20 seller ratings New $6.52
BudsGunShop.com 108 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $9.00 $16.00 $7.00
Natchez Shooters Supply 4 seller ratings New $6.88
Opentip.com 199 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $12.79 $20.08 $7.29
Sportsman's Warehouse Show all 4 No rating New $8.50
CalsSportingArmory.com 39 seller ratings New No tax + Shipping: $9.95 $17.27 $7.32
ManVentureOutpost.com 510 seller ratings New $6.42
Midwest Hunters Outlet Show all 2 19 seller ratings New $6.49
BigSupplyShop.com 102 seller ratings New $6.36
View all 59 online stores ?
Quote:
BB Caps were made in Europe and America until fairly recently. The last I saw were made in Germany by RWS who, I believe, still loads them today.

The successor to the BB Cap was the CB Cap. "CB" stands for "Conical Bullet." The CB cap uses a 29 grain round nose lead bullet and a tiny pinch of powder. This is also shooting gallery ammunition. CCI produces modern CB Cap loads in .22 Short and .22 Long cases (firearms chambered for the Long Rifle cartridge being far more common today) for gallery and indoor practice use. The MV of either is 710 fps.
HTML Code:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm
Armadillos-Pest Control-cb1.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-25.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-9bfef1.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-1104.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-bb_capsmall2.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-rad2.jpg 

Armadillos-Pest Control-umc-1917-cover.jpg 

Old 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM  

Kent, Ohio
THe round on the left is a typical .22LR. The round on the right is Aguila subsonic sniper.

It's a 60-grain bullet in a .22 short case, the assembled round is a .22LR.

It's very quiet, and the mass of the bullet keeps the energy up despite the lower velocity. Unfortunately, the rifling in most .22LR barrels is 1/12 or 1/14, which isn't tight enough to stabilize it properly. It tends to tumble and long-range accuracy suffers. But if this thing is the size of a small dog, you've got a lot of target to work with, and you're not going to be that far away.

Most AR15 barrels have a 1-in-9 twist rate which should be enough to stabilize it. But that assumes you have an AR15 and .22LR conversion kit.

I wonder how the stupid things would react to pepper spray.

Edit: Just realized, one of the quotes blucher cited refers to Aguila SSS:
Quote:
Strange as it may seem, Aguila’s SniperSubSonic ammo with it’s 60 grain bullet and much more power, sounds about the same as CB caps from handguns. And it doesn’t drop from the point of aim out to 25 to 40 yards like the other CBs do. And carries a great deal more energy.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
It just occurred to me my CB caps have sat unfired in 6 years of OR damp. I should test a few before I need to use some.

Turned out I have a brick of Colibri CB's. I fired one through 3 soda cans with a board as a backstop. <see board>
Armadillos-Pest Control-clipboard01.jpg 

Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM  

Kent, Ohio
That looks like quite an improvement over a pellet rifle, but I don't think it would have enough power to consistently drop anything much larger than a rabbit.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
That looks like quite an improvement over a pellet rifle, but I don't think it would have enough power to consistently drop anything much larger than a rabbit.
I'm sure you're right but many rabbits died at it's hands and a rabbit is the largest scourge of PA gardens. If you want to keep reptiles off your Florida lawn try a stick.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Interesting, I've never even heard of them.

I keep subsonic .22 for home defense purposes. If I see it again I'll see what I can do.

I'll also look into caps and give them a try.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Interesting, I've never even heard of them.

I keep subsonic .22 for home defense purposes. If I see it again I'll see what I can do.

I'll also look into caps and give them a try.

Nothing wrong with .22, of course. They've got plenty of uses. But for home defense? I'd rather have a big ol' can of pepper spray and a baton than a .22.

"She" isn't comfortable with firearms. (we're working on it)

In the meantime, we've got dogs for early-warning and deterrence purposes, and I bought several 4oz cans of the spray used in these videos:
(warning: adult language, lots of pain-induced expletives. Unsuitable for embedding, NSFW)
Code:
Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM  

With my 25 years of law enforcement experience, I have had numerous suspects where the OC did not phase them, and I would rather use it for taco sauce.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
My opening hand is an aluminum fungo bat. The largest size Maglite is right next to it.
About 4 months ago a neighbor threatened my life over literally nothing. He's been evicted for similar encounters with the other tenants. I bought & carried OC spray for to and from the car.

I'm usually in the bedroom using pillows to prop my bad back. If my front door crashed open hell is at my fingertips.

When I move one of my first tasks is to assess backdrops on all sides.

Rival, I dated a woman of 62 years in PA. She had inherited her father's gun (.38), hated guns and gave it to me to be rid of it. I tried to explain how there is something almost zen like to concentrating everything on a dot and a smooth trigger pull.
Serendipitously the Beretta Corporation invited their forum to come to a range in Philly and try out all their toys. I brought her as my guest. "Grandma" was Annie Oakley.

The trick was that she was given that space age Beretta rifle first and her targets were at handgun range. She chewed those up and by then she had the bug.

The photo was taken as the initial all clear was given and a dozen lanes let loose. After she made friends with guns she lost the flinch completely.

Start her on nothing more powerful than 9mm. I'd go with .22 myself. Women generally hate recoil.
She designed and made that jacket she's wearing. Sewing has gone digital.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.