Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM  

Thornton, Colorado
Basement Flooring

What is the convention for flooring in an on slab basement floor. I wan't to put some tile in some areas and carpeting in others. Do I just have to put down some underlayment and call it good?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM  

The tile can be put down right on top of the concrete.

As for the carpet you will need to put down some plastic then your carpet pad and then your carpet.

All this is assuming though that your basement doesn't leak.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM  

Macomb, MI
They have special padding for basement flooring. Thats what I used in my basement. Can't remember the name of it, it's been quite a few years.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM  

This is just my opinion, but if I was you I wouldn't put carpet in my basement anyways, I would tile the whole basement and use rugs, I can't tell you how many times I've been called to someones house to rip out water damaged carpet from their basement, and the last thing you want in your house is black mold.

Another thing to think about is Cork flooring, it's waterproof, mold proof, and it wouldn't be as cold as tile.

Cork flooring is easy to install also cause it is a floating snap together floor, all you have to do is put down a vapor barrier (plastic) and lay your flooring right on top of it, no gluing, or nailing.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM  

NYC, NY
Cork flooring sounds interesting, I might have to look into that.
My basement has the original asphalt tiles.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Holmes says never put plastic on top of concrete.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
I like this thread. I am trying to figure out how to finish my basement as well. I will look into cork ... so no plastic on the concrete? I'll do more research on that too.

Can I add to your question and ask about basement walls? Mine do get just barely damp in heavy rain, but not bad. Can I just seal and paint them? I don't think I'll drywall or anything ... I just want to brighten the basement up a bit so I can spend more time down there.

I have a pole in the basement and like to workout and practice on it, so I want some decent flooring and brighter walls... right now it is just a typical dismal basement.

By the way, the pole makes a good conversation piece. You can check out more about it on my own forum at Mollys Forum (Molly's Forum - Index). You have to become a member to see any of the video or pictures (not of me - of women like Felix Cane, real world class pole dancers).

Help me make my basement a place I can dance and have fun!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Holmes says never put plastic on top of concrete.
You have to put down plastic or else the flooring will soak up water thru the concrete.

Or if you don't want to go the easy way with plastic you can spend the money to have the floor sealed, and then put down felt paper, and then the flooring.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Here is a quick blurb from DIY network that might be helpful... they put a frame on the floor with a vapor barrier with insulation, as well as a 6mm polyurethane vapor sheeting, then nail down 3/4" plywood.

Video: Flooring Options
Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 AM  

Greene County, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Morgan View Post
This is just my opinion, but if I was you I wouldn't put carpet in my basement anyways, I would tile the whole basement and use rugs, I can't tell you how many times I've been called to someones house to rip out water damaged carpet from their basement, and the last thing you want in your house is black mold.

Another thing to think about is Cork flooring, it's waterproof, mold proof, and it wouldn't be as cold as tile.

Cork flooring is easy to install also cause it is a floating snap together floor, all you have to do is put down a vapor barrier (plastic) and lay your flooring right on top of it, no gluing, or nailing.

Just something to think about.
What about heated tiles on the concrete floor? Anything to worry about with water and whatnot from the concrete?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.