Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Brick Fireplace needs a facelift

I have a beautiful brick fireplace that the prior owner painted white. It doesn't look bad but I need ideas on how to make it look better. I want it to be the real focal point of the living room... something stunning.

I have attached a picture. I hope to make this my upcoming winter project. (The furniture and everything you see is from before I bought the house so just ignore all that and look at the fireplace).
Brick Fireplace needs a facelift-dscn0066.jpg 

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM  

I would cover up that ugly brick up with either a natural stone tile, or a stone veneer.

It's very easy to do also, all you have to do is cover the brick with a scratch coat, then just let that dry and your ready to either start tiling or putting up your stone veneer.

Or if you don't want to use a scratch coat you can get cement board, all you would need to put cement board up with is, a hammer drill, masonry bits, and masonry screws, then after you have that up you can start tiling or putting up your stone veneer.

And don't even try to strip the paint off, that can only be done with a media blaster.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Thank you! I don't think a day goes by that I don't look at this fireplace and want to do something to it... a stone tile sounds interesting. I'll start researching your ideas and see what I come up with.... it's going to be a busy winter for me!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Here's a bunch of ideas..check it out.
</title></head><body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;window.parent.StateManager.restore(decodeUR IComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+enc(b)+"</body></html>");c.close();a.frameSaving=false}
Old 10-14-2010, 02:46 PM  
Ill be back....

Pearland, Texas
Some sort of natural stone would do well, I'd think. If it were me, I would try to locate some large timber to install along the vertical edge of the brick and maybe, MAYBE, along the top as well. But maybe large stone across the top. I just think the sharp, brick edge takes away from it. Of course if you went with stone you could have the edge broken up as well, without messing with any wood at all. Definitely an interesting "canvas" you have to work with there. Enjoy the project.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM  

Nanoose Bay, BC
Of course stone is nice but I think if I had a smaller budget I would get some wood on there to offset all that light color
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM  

williamsburg, West Virginia
Or with good ventilation you can clean it off with muratic acid.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Thanks everyone... I am getting lots of good suggestions from you all... I love it!! I am sitting in my living room looking at it right now and I can see what my major winter project will be... I'm so bad at getting ideas on my own so you've all been a huge help.

I'm also re-doing the floor, pulling up the carpet and putting in reclaimed hardwood for a rich rustic look to the whole room. I'm excited, but a huge job for one person so once I do get started I'll post progress pictures for you all.. I'll need your ideas to move me along.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM  

Southern Arizona, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
Thanks everyone... I am getting lots of good suggestions from you all... I love it!! I am sitting in my living room looking at it right now and I can see what my major winter project will be... I'm so bad at getting ideas on my own so you've all been a huge help.

I'm also re-doing the floor, pulling up the carpet and putting in reclaimed hardwood for a rich rustic look to the whole room. I'm excited, but a huge job for one person so once I do get started I'll post progress pictures for you all.. I'll need your ideas to move me along.
Since you are going "rustic" with the floors, Mtngirl . . .

Have you considered having the entire fireplace professionally stripped back to the original raw brick and then sealed?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Since you are going "rustic" with the floors, Mtngirl . . .

Have you considered having the entire fireplace professionally stripped back to the original raw brick and then sealed?
Unless there is an easy way to strip the paint to the raw brick, I have not considered it because that would be more work than I am willing to do. Maybe I am missing a trick to it.

So far I'm thinking slate ... and a nice rustic beam for the mantle ... but I'm still thinking.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads