Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2010, 06:57 PM  
Gorgonzola stuffed olives

North CT / Denmark
Cape Cod style house / balloon framing = No soffit vents?

I have a cape cod from 1930. It appears to be built w/ balloon framing. The insulation is falling apart in the side attic, so during my teardown project I realize there's no soffit vents and since it's a cape there's the lack of overhang to deal with making it next to impossible to put a soffit vent in there. Any bright ideas as far as how to properly vent this sucker?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 AM  

Nashville, TN
Lomanco makes a product called SV10, which is a drip edge vent. You cut the bottom of the roof deck back and the drip edge extends out to allow for a perforated underside of the drip edge. This will allow for attic air intake. There are several other MFG. Google attic vent MFG, most all make a version of this so you can retro fit houses that don't have a sofit area with a vent intake option.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 PM  

North CT / Denmark
Interesting. I found one other one in the same category as well. I guess the next question becomes whether or not it's a good idea to install the baffles between the rafters now and then add the soffit vents in the spring.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM  

North CT / Denmark
Well... maybe a bit of good news. Even though Cape Cods traditionally have 0 overhang, there is a tiny space which might have space for one of those small round vents. I'm going to finish work on the baffles, the batt insulation and then hit the kneewall and the floor joists with some insulation first and then see if I can drill through.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!