Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Chainsaws

Anyone have any recommendations? I've decided to go electric as I a m also looking at an electric mower.

I'm willing to go gas if the proper recommendation is made though.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
We have had good luck with husqvarna chainsaws.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 PM  

Shuswap, BC
I have cut a lot of wood, and have 2 uncles, and 6 cousins that are professional loggers.
They swear the only saw to buy is husquavarna.
I know my husquavarna always starts easy, and runs perfectly.
If it quits it is out of gas.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
buddy from Forestry school said husquavarna.

He also quit forestry school after watching chainsaws eat a couple faces. My suburban neighbor had 3 pretty major plastic surgeries from one mistake.

Three winters back I got my hands on a Sears electric saw. It ate small tree limbs like peanuts but I think you'd need to work at it to get hurt.

I'd say for heavy brush & storm damage go electric. If you're cutting firewood you need gas. If a tree falls on your house call a professional & your insurance man.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM  

Kent, Ohio
For gas saws, I heartily recommend Stihl. My grandparents have a few of them that are older than me, and they get quite a workout every summer. I first used a Husqvarna saw a couple years ago, but not enough to give an informed opinion. I did like it, but I also liked my Poulan saw the first season. The second season, it gave me nothing but trouble.

The only electric chainsaw I've used was Craftsman branded and I would not recommend it, or any other electric saw, for anything but occasional use on logs under 8" diameter. Anything bigger or more frequent, don't waste your time, get a gas saw.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
and I would not recommend it, or any other electric saw, for anything but occasional use on logs under 8" diameter.
good point. When we used one for storm damage we fed it lots of oil and kept the teeth clean. we also tried not to over heat it. When the owner stole it for his yard it burned it out in less than a day.

Husqvarna
http://corporate.husqvarna.com/index...stry,chainsaws

Follow the Press link to the Image Bank for 6 pages of photos of products.

Quote:
Husqvarna T435 is the first tree-care saw that meets the European environmental requirements for smaller chainsaws. Lower weight combined with a double hook and a powerful engine with 69% less emissions, makes it easier and greener than ever to use.
Low resolution (1.52 MB)

http://corporate.husqvarna.com/index...aws&afw_page=2

I'd be careful about those standards becoming US standards too. You might be grandfathered but if people panic because of some ecological event due to global warming you might get caught with a white elephant. <not good>
Chainsaws-030.jpg 

Chainsaws-img_1970.jpg 

Chainsaws-h150-0009.jpg 

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 AM  

All I can tell you is that Husquavarna made one hell of a dirt bike!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
good point. When we used one for storm damage we fed it lots of oil and kept the teeth clean. we also tried not to over heat it. When the owner stole it for his yard it burned it out in less than a day.
Yeah, every saw NEEDS oil. The nice thing about gas saws is they run out of gas about the same time they run out of oil. With electrics, you don't have that built-in indicator.

Oh, OP - whatever you do, get a saw with an automatic oiler, and keep the chain properly tensioned. It's when they get dry or loose that they fly off and hurt people.

Wear gloves, glasses, earplugs, pants, and heavy boots when you're using it. The pros wear chaps designed to clog the teeth and kill the saw before ripping open their legs. You probably won't buy those, and you've probably got a lot less experience than those guys, so you'll need to take even greater precautions. Beware of kickback - don't cut with the tip or top of the blade. It's a good way to turn perfectly good flesh into scar tissue. Take your time, and be safe.

And don't do it for yourself, do it for me. When enough people injure themselves with chainsaws, I won't be able to buy one without a permit and a 3-day waiting period.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Yeah, every saw NEEDS oil. The nice thing about gas saws is they run out of gas about the same time they run out of oil. With electrics, you don't have that built-in indicator.

And don't do it for yourself, do it for me. When enough people injure themselves with chainsaws, I won't be able to buy one without a permit and a 3-day waiting period.
I noticed Husqvarna has an automatic tensioner on at least one of their saws. The gas/oil issue would be much easier with gas.

You Southwesterners are educating me on your flora and so far much of it seems more like brushy trees and desert/high desert vegetation. The Mesquite wasn't much like oak and maples. If your actual needs on a yearly basis are clearing brush don't overbuy. Some folks confuse the length of their blade with unrelated masculinity issues. If on the other hand you have big tree limbs dropping pretty regularly gas might be the only option.

In your photo of your daughter and yourself on the trampoline I didn't notice a forest behind you. If you're thinking electric mower and they still run off extension cords it doesn't sound like you need to be an arborist to keep up the property. We had you figgered for a chainsaw killer once but if a saw carves your face I'm phoning agents who might want a Freddie Kruger lookalike.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm looking into Husqvarna then.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!