Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM  

Knoxville, Tennessee
Coloring grout?

Is there a way to color grout after it has been installed for about a year? I would like to go with a little bit darker. Some of it was sealed and some has not. Any help would be appreciated, really.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM  

California
Since some of your grout has already been sealed, you will never get a correct color match. Instead, you will end up having visible color differences where the grout has already been sealed. I would recommend purchasing a grout tool, which will remove the top layer of grout, and then apply the correct color of your choice.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
^^This. To save on some elbow grease I'd use a power grout removal tool like this Dremel.
Coloring grout?-ps-grout.jpg 

Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 AM  

Knoxville, Tennessee
How much grout do you think that I will have to remove? I do not want it to pop right back out.
Thanks alot, Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Since some of your grout has already been sealed, you will never get a correct color match. Instead, you will end up having visible color differences where the grout has already been sealed. I would recommend purchasing a grout tool, which will remove the top layer of grout, and then apply the correct color of your choice.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Instructions for the Dremel say "Do not remove grout more than 1/8” below the surface of the tile."
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 PM  

Roseburg, Oregon
After you remove the grout, could you use a concrete coloring? I've got stone floors and the grout is really stained as well. But I have powdered concrete coloring that I used in conjunction with Drylok for fish tank decos
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM  

California
Anything is possible, but that stuff is messy. Once you remove the top layer of grout, your grout will be so low that everything would fall into the crevasses, and a bugger to keep clean. By the way, they have every color grout imaginable at your local big box hardware store.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!