Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM  

Knoxville, Tennessee
Coloring grout?

Is there a way to color grout after it has been installed for about a year? I would like to go with a little bit darker. Some of it was sealed and some has not. Any help would be appreciated, really.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM  

Since some of your grout has already been sealed, you will never get a correct color match. Instead, you will end up having visible color differences where the grout has already been sealed. I would recommend purchasing a grout tool, which will remove the top layer of grout, and then apply the correct color of your choice.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
^^This. To save on some elbow grease I'd use a power grout removal tool like this Dremel.
Coloring grout?-ps-grout.jpg 

Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM  

Knoxville, Tennessee
How much grout do you think that I will have to remove? I do not want it to pop right back out.
Thanks alot, Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Since some of your grout has already been sealed, you will never get a correct color match. Instead, you will end up having visible color differences where the grout has already been sealed. I would recommend purchasing a grout tool, which will remove the top layer of grout, and then apply the correct color of your choice.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Instructions for the Dremel say "Do not remove grout more than 1/8” below the surface of the tile."
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM  

Roseburg, Oregon
After you remove the grout, could you use a concrete coloring? I've got stone floors and the grout is really stained as well. But I have powdered concrete coloring that I used in conjunction with Drylok for fish tank decos
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM  

Anything is possible, but that stuff is messy. Once you remove the top layer of grout, your grout will be so low that everything would fall into the crevasses, and a bugger to keep clean. By the way, they have every color grout imaginable at your local big box hardware store.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!