Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 AM  

Denver, Colorado
Drain Cleaning Solutions

I have a drain that is constantly getting clogged up deep in the pipe.

Is there some monthly chemical or organic compound I can put in my pipes to eat the grease and other items clogging it?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I use liquid fire, I believe it's called. You can normally find it at any hardware store. If they don't have it, then they'll have something similar, with the same acidity.

It's the strongest liquid you can buy. Like, you need to be 18 to buy it hah.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-08-2010, 06:08 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
I have a problem drain also, I buy the cheapest chlorine based drain opener on the shelf. Read the back sometime.

Anyway, the chlorine will heat up and burn through hair rather well, if you have grease problems, then you need a totally different product.

Just take some time and read the bottle, and buy a product for your type of plug.

If you have grease issues, they do make products to dissolve it.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 PM  

Omaha, ne
I use Zep Crystal Heat Drain Opener at home and at the rentals.

Just make absolutely sure your windows are open!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:18 PM  

Just a word of caution, if the product works well at eating hair, what is it doing to your pipes, especially PVC?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM  

Sammamish, WA
If it's deep, then make sure it's not tree roots. We had that situation and used draino a lot for a few weeks until we finally got the rooter guy out and found roots in the pipe. Within a month the big old magnolia tree died, probably from
the draino. They can usually handle roots being cut better than a nasty drain cleaning chemical. Of course, after it died no more drain issues!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM  
Poison Idea

Just pickup some Muriatic Acid from Lowe's. Just make sure you follow the instructions 100% and cover the drain up with a pot or something after you dump it in because it can shoot back out.

Or like Bisjoe said, make sure it's not roots or some other issue.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 PM  

Pasadena, CA
Over the long haul paying a rooter is cheaper than using acid. I've seen cast iron that's been eaten by acid. It almost looks like the erosion from a tiny river that ran along the bottom of the pipe. I just replaced a cast iron drain & bath tub with damage caused by an acid drain cleaner. The renters denied using it, but the smell from recent use the & discoloration of the brass W&O & galvanized piping said otherwise. At this point the owner is talking about suing the renters for the cost of the repairs.

We hire out the rooter work, & for us the big name guys don't seem to work out as well as some of the smaller local guys. If you have a recurring problem, some of them have equipment where they can video the drain line to pinpoint the problem. The equipment also has a receiver that can be used in the yard to locate the pipe's path & depth. It shows you where to dig to replace a section where roots are an ongoing problem.

For my own house with 70 year old drain lines, I pay a rooter even though I'd do my own labor for free if the pipes were destroyed by acid.

What's clogging? Is it a single location that has a problem, or is it the whole house clogging at once?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
He had a problem with clogged and slow drain. When the router rooter guy sent a 100' snake down the pipe and nothing. Then he said I gotta open the wall bang it was free and clear. He gave us this pipe treatment that is supposed to make the pipe walls super slick to things can't or don't clog that easy.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Just a word of caution, if the product works well at eating hair, what is it doing to your pipes, especially PVC?
Chlorine type of drain openers won't hurt the pvc pipes, but I have seen some of the acid based drain openers heat up and bulge a pvc pipe, but the acid stuff gets really hot.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!