Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Chlorine type of drain openers won't hurt the pvc pipes, but I have seen some of the acid based drain openers heat up and bulge a pvc pipe, but the acid stuff gets really hot.
I agree with you on this. I usually will purchase a gallon of bleach every month, and pour a few cups of bleach down all my drains every few weeks as a way to make the drains smell good and to clean out the accumulation of crud that slows the drains.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I agree with you on this. I usually will purchase a gallon of bleach every month, and pour a few cups of bleach down all my drains every few weeks as a way to make the drains smell good and to clean out the accumulation of crud that slows the drains.
This is a very good idea!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM  

Ft. Worth, TX
Yeah, be very careful if you have PVC pipes. It won't always unstick a clogged drain (works sometimes), but as long as they are reasonably clean I pour a heaping tablespoon of baking soda down the drain, let it sit 5 min. or so, then pour a half cup of white vinegar down the drain. It bubbles up (expanding a bit, not enough to hurt pipes though), eats away at grime and keeps drains clean and fresh with no damage to the environment or water table. If you are on a septic system, especially an aerated system that will water your yard for you, you don't want bleach in there. Plus the bleach can kill the bacteria that eats the crap (literally) out of your septic tank and keeps it from overflowing if you use lots of it.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjoe1998 View Post
Yeah, be very careful if you have PVC pipes. It won't always unstick a clogged drain (works sometimes), but as long as they are reasonably clean I pour a heaping tablespoon of baking soda down the drain, let it sit 5 min. or so, then pour a half cup of white vinegar down the drain. It bubbles up (expanding a bit, not enough to hurt pipes though), eats away at grime and keeps drains clean and fresh with no damage to the environment or water table. If you are on a septic system, especially an aerated system that will water your yard for you, you don't want bleach in there. Plus the bleach can kill the bacteria that eats the crap (literally) out of your septic tank and keeps it from overflowing if you use lots of it.
Nope...the bleach is only 12% chlorine at best, it will be used up long before it will kill off your septic tank.

I work with Cl2 every day and bacteria, yes chlorine will destroy at the DNA level, but at 12% you will not do any harm to your septic tank unless you use tens of gallons.

I have some 70% stuff that will make you cry and not breathe, that stuff will do some damage, and the gas will kill you....
Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM  

Could I borrow a cup of the good stuff for my "X"? After all, her birthday is just around the corner!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
could i borrow a cup of the good stuff for my "x"? After all, her birthday is just around the corner!
hahaha....lmao!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
no picture! fail!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 AM  

San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg View Post
I have a drain that is constantly getting clogged up deep in the pipe.

Is there some monthly chemical or organic compound I can put in my pipes to eat the grease and other items clogging it?
Depending on what "other items" are you may be better off snaking it. A snake costs $15 or $20 last I checked, get the the spiral kind not the flat ribbon kind. Takes a lot of elbow grease, but enough persistence and it'll usually find its way around the tight curves. Just a few inches of free cable is all you want so that it's stiff enough to be pushing in while twisting, then when it finally goes inch the handle back another few inches and repeat. Once it's all the way in there I like to work it around a bit while flushing water through, hot preferably.

Don't remember where I first read this, but they suggested once a month or so filling all the sinks and tubs in the house to the max and having a friend or two help pull all the plugs and flush all the toilets at the same time. The weight of that much water helps pull everything through the drain pipes and keeps it from building up. I've tried it and watched my sink drain exponentially faster when a lot of other drains are going too, so it's got to have some merit to it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post

If it's got the scull and cross bones on it, you know it's got to be good!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 PM  
"VolksJeepin"

Poughkeepsie, NY
One of these should do the trick.....

Just make sure you get everyone out of the house prior to use.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.