Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM  

Greenville, SC
Equipment storage shed

Okay, I know this is similar to a post I have seen before.... Just wanted to get some input. Here goes...

I am trying to plan the construction of a storage shed for my lawn equipment. Of course, there is a tight budget. I am thinking 12'x12'. From pricing materials and such, a good way for me to cut cost is to not construct a floor, but to just make a cinder block foundation and put some crush and run inside (or something like that) sort of like a barn or something. Then, my next decision is whether to use metal siding or 4x8 sheets of wood siding.
So far what I have come up with is (using metal siding, wood frame) a 12'x12' building costing about $600 in materials. That is NOT including hardware for the door and screws/nails and such..Oh, and I am not yet sure the cost of the metal pieces to cover the corners. What do you guys think?? Any better ideas?

Oh, I want to avoid doing shingles because I think the metal will be easier to do and take less time... Disagreements?

This type of metal for siding and roof.. Found it for 2.08 a foot 3' coverage..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM  

Are you going to use 2 x 6's for the rafters to support the roof? Are you going to run power to the shed? My only concern about the metal siding is the potential for the siding to become weapons during high winds.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Are you going to use 2 x 6's for the rafters to support the roof? Are you going to run power to the shed? My only concern about the metal siding is the potential for the siding to become weapons during high winds.
I was going to build 5 truss' from 2x4's. I have been looking at the buildings that are on the market and looking at how they are built and it seems that my plan is much sturdier than the buildings I see for $2000... Also, the walls are going to be super sturdy because I can get a bunch of free wooden skid type things (not pallets exactly) and I was going to use lots of screws.
Also, I live sort of in the woods so the winds don't get too bad. If I lived out in open fields or something I would be much more concerned about the wind.
Also, I plan on (not sure what it is called) using 2x6's for under the outside edges of the roof to hopefully keep wind from getting "under" the metal roof.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 AM  

I have just two comments. Although the metal seems pretty foolproof, a 4 x 8 sheet of T-111 exterior wood siding is also pretty durable. It will not get hot like the metal siding, and also does not dent like the metal.

I myself recently had to rebuild my wood framed storage unit because the termites had pretty much destroyed it. I hired a local guy, who was hungry for work, who had his crew pour concrete footing and floor, then the walls were constructed out of rebar supported cinderblocks. That room is always 20-30 degrees cooler than the rest of the house, and I never get bugs or critters inside, especially after installing a steel door. I call it my little bomb shelter. Just food for thought!
Equipment storage shed-garage-shed-pics-4-.jpg 

Equipment storage shed-garage-shed-pics-37-.jpg 

Equipment storage shed-garage-shed-pics-39-.jpg 

Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM  

Greenville, SC
I do love your "bomb shelter"... I did consider a block building but I am not a mason, and the price would be out of my price range for the materials alone. I have also considered the wood siding. The cost is comparable (perhaps slightly more) than doing the metal sides. That does not include having to paint the siding...

**Note: I have never built a building! Only put up paneling, drywall, cabinets and built shelves and things like that!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!