Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM  

Macomb, MI
Exterior wood trim

I have what is apparently a non-standard size trim piece on my house. I want to use pressure treated trim pieces but it doesnt come in my size. I stopped off at Home Depot and Lowes and both said I could use whiteboard, and to just go to the paint department and ask them what I need to put on it to make it suitable for outside..... well at 2 different Home Depots and 1 Lowes.. I just got the I dont know look from them.

I need 9-1/4 x 24 x 7/8

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM  

Springfield, Missouri
From that size, I'm thinking a piece of plywood. The only problem with that is it needs to be weathered for a while before you paint it. They might also make Azec(?) in 1 inch thickness and that won't rot. Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
If you go to a real Lumber-Yard they will be able to help you better.
I would suggest redwood or cedar though they might have another suggestion based on your climate. They can have the lumber milled to any dimensions you need, Just tell them what you want (i.e. square corners, rough sawn, smooth with round corners, etc.)
Pressure treated lumber is meant for contact with concrete or earth and is not considered the best choice for above ground use.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliFrei64 View Post
I have what is apparently a non-standard size trim piece on my house. I want to use pressure treated trim pieces but it doesnt come in my size. I stopped off at Home Depot and Lowes and both said I could use whiteboard, and to just go to the paint department and ask them what I need to put on it to make it suitable for outside..... well at 2 different Home Depots and 1 Lowes.. I just got the I dont know look from them.

I need 9-1/4 x 24 x 7/8
Can you post a pic? We own 18 houses and are always making our own stuff, many are old victorians and the trim is hand made. If I could see what you're making and where it is going, I may be able to give you a tip or two.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM  
Traveler

Fredericksburg, VA
Redwood Ceder or Cyprus would be great.

If you are going to use regular pine even if it is Pressure Treated I would cut it to fit then take paintable white silicone caulk and seal any cut end with that then paint with 2 to 4 coats of good exterior paint allowing to dry good then put it up caulk over nails and paint the face one more time.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.