Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What type of floors y'got?
Solid Hardwood and didn't look back! 10 55.56%
Engineered Hardwood - the "tweener" 4 22.22%
Laminate - I'm afraid of commitment 0 0%
Other - please, do explain! 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 PM  

Raleigh, NC
I work for a general contractor doing reconstruction of mostly residential homes damaged from water and fire. A big difference in some of the engineered wood floors is that when installed, there is a little gap in between boards. We hear from a lot of homeowners (the women ) that this is kind of a pain in the butt to clean because of those grooves. They say over time, dust gets in there and is hard to clean. But, these engineered wood floors are just that, engineered, and therefore can actually be harder and arguably more durable than true site stain hardwood floors. Another benefit is the fact that engineered floors are prefinished and therefore you dont have do go through the sanding/staining/polyurethane process like you do with site stain hardwood floors. If you do true hardwoods, you have to be out of the house for a week during the finishing process. Also, keep in mind your quarter round molding that will go along with your new floors. If you go with engineered floors and want the matching quarter round to go alone with it, you will be paying triple per linear foot what you would for some oak quarter round stained to match your true hardwood floors. Not a big deal on a small job, but since you mentioned you would like to go with wood floors throughout your entire home, it might substantially increase the cost. These are just a couple things to help you on your way.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:27 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Gotchya. Thanks for all the info man - good stuff.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 AM  

Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblewood View Post
There was no gap left around the walls when they installed it so sometimes if its really humid it swells and starts to buckle
This could also have been due to improper acclimation. No matter what wood you go with, I recommend bringing the new bundles of it into your home and let it adjust to the temperature in your house for at least several days. All wood will swell and shrink. So, bring the bundles in, let them sit in the bundles for a few days, and then install.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 PM  

vallejo, ca
I bought a 1938 Spabish Bungalow style house a fe wyears ago. When we bought it it had wall to wall carpet throughout the place, but the realtor suggested that there may be original hardwood underneath. We pulled some of it back and sure enough, there it was!
We tore out all of the carpeting and had the floors sanded and re-finished and they look absolutely beautiful. There are definitely many blemishes and stains in the wood (its 70 years old!) but we feel it gives the floors character. I don't think I could ever live in a house without them again.

The kitchen, however had been "updated" several years ago, and a laminate floor was installed. Now I can't really speak for ALL laminate flooring, just what was installed in my house. It looks decent, but transitioning from the living room with the real hardwood to the laminate in the dining/kitchen just feels...well, weird. When we remodel (some day!) we'll definitely be installing real hardwood in the dining and going with ceramic tile in the kitchen.

Just my .02.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
My parents kind of had the same deal. They bought a house in Cleveland, and it was still 70's type decor with the bronze-ish carpet, orange and lime green walls. We re-painted the walls and were going to tear up the carpet and, wa-la, there was some beautiful wood underneath the entire first floor!

They still have it and, like you said, it definitely gives the house character. It's gotta be at least 30-40 years old.

I only hope and pray that we can find a house that's already got some wood I can just re-finish - it'll save me a bundle that's for sure! But I'm not holding my breath...

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
The house here in Sacramento is 90% hardwood floors and 10% engineered Dupont laminate floor in the TV Room. The floors in most of the house is Red Oak, which I had refinished when I remodeled the house and the TV room was a slab floor and thats where I used the engineered hardwood flooring.

The real hard wood floor is a bit of a pain in the arse for keeping pristine but looks real nice. The one room that has the engineered hardwood product is near industructable, however, doesn't compair to the beauty of the real hardwood floor.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
The house here in Sacramento is 90% hardwood floors and 10% engineered Dupont laminate floor in the TV Room. The floors in most of the house is Red Oak, which I had refinished when I remodeled the house and the TV room was a slab floor and thats where I used the engineered hardwood flooring.

The real hard wood floor is a bit of a pain in the arse for keeping pristine but looks real nice. The one room that has the engineered hardwood product is near industructable, however, doesn't compair to the beauty of the real hardwood floor.

What do you do to keep your hardwood up to date, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM  

Ohio
I have been in the flooring installation bussiness for over 30 years.
One thing to remember you get what you pay for. You go cheap thats what you are going to get.
I never used to care for engineered florring until the last few years. It has come a long way. There is less imperfections, knots, finish even seems better
The wide boards are in style now and with solid 3/4 they tend to cup, you wont get that with a engineered floor
Alot of new homes are putting hardwood in kitchens but I'm dont recommend it. In a kitchen you drop to many things and it will dent and there is always the possibility of spilling a liquid. Spill a glass of milk and where is it going? Right down beteen the boards!
If you have dogs and kids that are hard on flooring may want to rethink hardwood. You can go with different species that are harder but its still wood. It will dent, scratch.
Not a fan of laminate but if you bare hard on floors that might be a better way to go. There are some laminates now that really look like hardwood. They dont look plastic like they did when they first came out
JMO
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I've actually got 2 dogs and 2 kids, so wear and tear is one of my biggest concerns with real hardwood/engineered. Engineered is simply cork or some other material wrapped in real wood, correct?

We have laminate stuff right now, and honestly unless you look really hard, or you're used to real hardwood, then you can't tell. I agree that laminate has come a very long way.

I'm considering just using laminate until my kids are a bit older (they're 3 and 2 right now) so that we're not as hard on it as in spilling liquids and such.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM  

Ohio
Engineered is basically made like plywood with a thinner top layer that is hardwood, Oak, Maple, whatever. Being made in layers you dont have the cracking, spliting of boards. It can be sanded and refinished several times
With your situation I would stay with Laminate

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads