Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
Home Security Systems

My home was burglarized a couple of weeks ago, so naturally I'm looking into home security systems. I've seen three categories: animal, traditional siren type, and video surveillance.

Since we rent and can't own animals here, my #1 preferred system is not an option. Also since we rent, something non-permanent is a requirement, and something that doesn't have huge installation costs would be nice.

Do any of you have experience with traditional and video systems? For traditional systems, do you have them monitored, and what do you think of your service?

Most importantly, do any of you have a home security system, and have a burglary or attempted burglary? What kind did you have and was it effective?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
I keep video rolling at my house 24/7. It is being saved onto a remote computer's encrypted server. Pay more for better quality, this isn't CSI, they can't really make a 2.3MP camera zoom in and look like a 25MP camera. You'll be pissed when you see the crooks, but can't make them out cause you're still playing in a Nintendo world.

I have two dogs. Two very large dogs. Who don't take too kindly to people I don't introduce them to first. That and my stealthy camera are all I need.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Here's what I have... A shotgun and a camera.

Go to Harbor Freight and get a security cam from them, they are pretty inexpensive and
actually take pretty clear video. Then get a DVR to hook it up to so you can record.

And of course if someone comes in while you are there and they hear a shotgun being
cocked they will think twice about what they are planning to do.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM  

I have both a central burglar alarm monitoring as well as my own video system, which monitors all sides of the exterior. The monitor is a self contained system on a 25 gig hard drive, which is set to loop again and again. The images will last for about two weeks before it will re-record over the previous images. If I need to capture still of video images, I simply plug it into my computer and download/print what I need.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:12 PM  
What page are you on?

Oh, yes. I have guns as well. They tend to be pretty handy for home security. ;]
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM  

Ditto, guns in most every room, neatly hidden from view, but only because I have no little ones to worry about.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
My house was robbed while I was in Fort Jackson. The bas-you-know-whats got $35,000
worth of stuff including my Colt 1911. Needless to say I was pretty pi**ed off.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
My house was robbed while I was in Fort Jackson. The bas-you-know-whats got $35,000
worth of stuff including my Colt 1911. Needless to say I was pretty pi**ed off.
Nothing like being robbed while you're at work, eh?

I used to live in these college living apartments. They were 3bed/3bath and you lived with 2 other people you didn't/don't know. Sketchy right? It gets better. The first guy I lived with assaulted me and broke my wrist. I put a complaint in with the apartment manager and told her I wanted him moved. She told me they only had apartments available that he didn't qualify for. Whatever that means. So they moved me in with these 2 slobs down the way. Yeah, thats right, IIIII had to move even though I did nothing wrong.

The two new slobs were less than perfect, but nice folk. One of them lost his job so he had to leave school and go home. I was left with this 300lb 6'7" black dude. He was chill. We'd hang out and watch Netflix n stuff. Go get food, go to parties around the complex. One day we struck a deal that I'd write all his English papers for cash or equal cash value trades. He traded me a broken laptop one day. I wrote his paper, he got an A as usual. I fixed his laptop within 15 minutes of having it and this pissed him off. I mean... it REALLY pissed him off.

I came home from work one day to my huge TV missing, my buck knife missing, my other laptop missing, my pain killers also gone, and a fist through the laptop he gave me that I fixed. Needless to say the cops couldn't do anything cause I couldn't prove it. I have never seen or heard from this guy again. I heard he moved back to FLA. jerk.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Oh one thing I learned get yourself a good safe bolt that sucker to the floor and put anything you REALLY don't want stolen in it.... Like a Colt 1911.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Oh one thing I learned get yourself a good safe bolt that sucker to the floor and put anything you REALLY don't want stolen in it.... Like a Colt 1911.
Check! Got one. If you can find it, you can have it ;]

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.