Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ
 
VaporLung's Avatar

VA
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 728 | Kudos: +47
Images: 2
The problem with the monitored/unmonitored CC systems is you can only see it when its happening (or after the fact) The upside of this is as long as your cameras are conspicuously hung (where EVERYONE can see them) its a good deterrent. (And they are way less expensive than a system and the maintenance contract that comes with it)

The downside is they wont contact the authorities if you are burglarized (and not home)
The downside of the monitored alarm/security system is the false positives that LEO/Fire tend to get (and yes, YOU get stuck with the response bill if it is in fact a false alarm) That, and the response times can be lagging as well.

Camera system FTW (In my opinion)
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM  
Supporting Member
 
Chemiker's Avatar

San Jose, CA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209 | Kudos: +27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Oh one thing I learned get yourself a good safe bolt that sucker to the floor and put anything you REALLY don't want stolen in it.... Like a Colt 1911.
That is a great idea. I was thinking a gun safe, even for non-gun valuables, they're really sturdy. A thief would have to be really motivated and destructive to get into that i.e. it should deter most thieves.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:43 PM  
Supporting Member
 
Chemiker's Avatar

San Jose, CA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209 | Kudos: +27
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
The problem with the monitored/unmonitored CC systems is you can only see it when its happening (or after the fact) The upside of this is as long as your cameras are conspicuously hung (where EVERYONE can see them) its a good deterrent. (And they are way less expensive than a system and the maintenance contract that comes with it)

The downside is they wont contact the authorities if you are burglarized (and not home)
The downside of the monitored alarm/security system is the false positives that LEO/Fire tend to get (and yes, YOU get stuck with the response bill if it is in fact a false alarm) That, and the response times can be lagging as well.

Camera system FTW (In my opinion)
Great advice. Those false alarms can get annoying and costly. There are video systems that have motion activated cameras, where you can be notified when they're activated, and even see the video on your smartphone. I could do that, and just call the police myself if it's a real break-in. No more false alarms there.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM  
What page are you on?
 
Britney's Avatar

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 687 | Kudos: +34
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemiker View Post
That is a great idea. I was thinking a gun safe, even for non-gun valuables, they're really sturdy. A thief would have to be really motivated and destructive to get into that i.e. it should deter most thieves.
I got a call one morning at at 330 to come up to my job. I worked at a video store, a very large, profitable one. The police were every where, my window on my door was broken, and an oddly placed skateboard which I didnt recognize. The police had me watch the video with them. This I will never forget. A kid threw a brick through the door and entered going immediately to where the safe is under the counter. He then set his skateboard down and tried to lift the safe! We assume he thought he was going to load it out on his board. Anyway... cue the second with a sledge hammer. Boy these two were comical. I guess when they realized how long the alarm had been going off they had better run.

THEY DIDNT EVEN TAKE A SINGLE DVD, GAME, CD, CONSOLE.. NOTHING!

idiots. If I go through all that trouble AND i brought my skateboard, Im loading up the chest full of games... jussayin.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM  
What page are you on?
 
Britney's Avatar

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 687 | Kudos: +34
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemiker View Post
Great advice. Those false alarms can get annoying and costly. There are video systems that have motion activated cameras, where you can be notified when they're activated, and even see the video on your smartphone. I could do that, and just call the police myself if it's a real break-in. No more false alarms there.
Mine is motion activated. I love it.I busted my landlords a few times with it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.