Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM  

Port Richey, Florida
Quite seriously...I had a home in northern Wisconsin and every spring and fall our yard would be covered in mushrooms. They were definitely edible.

In spring they were morels that just can't be beat sauteed in butter. In the fall they were honey mushrooms (Armillaria mellea) which were fabulous fried up with some onions and served with eggs and hash browns for breakfast.

I don't pretend to say yours are edible...but I would definitely find out what ya got...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I might look into what kind they are but I'm not gonna eat them. If it isn't processed or comes in a box, I'm not eating it......except steak or hamburger.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM  

Port Richey, Florida
...LOL...Actually that's a very wise decision.

I used to be involved in a Mycological club many years ago as well as being taught by my father as to how to identify mushrooms, so I feel confident as to what mushrooms I eat.

Far too many people get violently ill or even die from eating poisonous mushrooms that were not properly identified. If ya don't know 'em...get rid of 'em...
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
My mycology instructor used to quote the following: "There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but no old, bold mushroom hunters." Make sure you get an expert opinion before eating them.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM  

Port Richey, Florida
...That's a very good quote and sage advice for sure...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
For the record, I will not eat any mushroom I find in my yard. I also will not eat any mushroom I find at the store. I will not eat any mushroom Rachel Ray gives me to eat. I will not eat a mushroom.
But I will describe the ones that I have in my yard. They start out as balls on the ground and I have only had one do it but it finally sprung up and became a full mushroom about 6" in diameter and about 3" off the ground. My 4 year old daughter was fascinated by it and had to poke it with a stick when I put it in the yard waste container. She had to squat down and look at it every time she got out of the car. I left it where it grew for about a week before I pulled it up so she could look at it. She still asks about it.
Now every time I find the little balls in the yard I pull them up before they grow any bigger.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM  

Port Richey, Florida
...If'n it was a pretty one like this...

...It ain't a good one. Pretty they are but will make ya sick as a dog ...if you survive...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Yes, the more colorful the more deadly, like bugs.

We get quite an assortment of different kinds but I only eat the ones I buy at the grocery store that are farmed.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM  

Port Richey, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

We get quite an assortment of different kinds but I only eat the ones I buy at the grocery store that are farmed.
...I am in agreement with you on this. I've been in Florida for almost 11 years now and I've yet to see an edible mushroom growing anywhere around here. I'm north of Tampa.

I also have relegated myself to the store bought 'shrooms or the dried ones that I pickup through Amazon or Sam's Club. When re-hydrated, the dried ones are not half bad...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I hate to get off topic, but. . .the best sandwich recipe, you must try it if you like mushrooms.

Slice them up thin while the oven heats up to 400F.

Take a big soft french roll, cut open and spread with pizza sauce or better yet marinara sauce with meat.

Lay onto a large piece of aluminum foil, open and face up.

Put on the mushrooms about 1/2" thick or more, then pile on shredded
mozzarella cheese. Close up as much as possible using the foil to keep it
intact and then seal up the foil.

Bake 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and enjoy.

I call it a "Mushroom Delight."

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.