Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM  

I have the Formica installed now and am choosing back splash tiles. I brought home some Agora Noche from Lowes to play with. They have a look similar to tumbled but are glazed. What grout would be best, sanded or un-sanded?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I used unsanded. I find it's easier to clean, and a backsplash is not going to get a lot of wear and tear, so you don't really need the added strength of sanded grout.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I used unsanded. I find it's easier to clean, and a backsplash is not going to get a lot of wear and tear, so you don't really need the added strength of sanded grout.
Thanks, I am thinking a 1/8" grout line and unsanded will be easier to get in as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
If I remember correctly I used 1/8" spacers and then really packed that grout in there. I may have used some kind of additive when I was mixing up the grout, but like I said it's been over ten years, so the specific details are a little lost in the sands of time

Just take your time and do it right and you"ll be golden. We expect to see pics of the finished product!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM  

New problem. I went with Agora Noce tiles and biscuit grout but the grout dried considerably lighter than the color chart. I am going to go over it with Grout Refresher which is also a sealer but am wondering how accurate its color charts are.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:10 PM  

I do know grout colors will vary quite a bit, especially if aged.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 AM  

Here's the final result. Next I may tackle repainting cabinets, but there's a lot of them. They are not as red as the camera picked up. I suggested just antiquing them darker but my wife wants lighter, maybe antique ivory.
Kitchen Counter Backsplash-100_1081-small-.jpg 

Kitchen Counter Backsplash-100_1083-small-.jpg 

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM  

Looks excellent Eddie! I personally like the cabinets the way they are, but I do know antiquing and glazed lighter cabinets are the "in" thing.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM  

Thanks, havasu, here is the before pic, the yellow formica and wallpaper backsplash lasted over 35 years so the redo should take me the rest of the way. The former was still good except for the joints which took on moisture, this redo doesn't have that type of joints.
Kitchen Counter Backsplash-100_0382-small-.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!