Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Lake Havasu is just an enlarged portion of the Colorado River, with dams at both ends. Yeah, there are shallows and some marshes, but for some stupid reason, them skeeters seem to be bad out there this time of year.
power dam at it's inlet?

I'd forgotten Havasu is where you stuck the London Bridge. That gave me the idea of moving the Wailing Wall & the jews to Utah.

That is one isolated lake based on the pictures. It's almost a moonscape with power boats. I'll admit there are some fine distractions.
Mosquito Repellent-lakehavasu02.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-havasu.jpg 

Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
There's nothing worse than mosquitos

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM  

California
Hay, I see my house right there!
Mosquito Repellent-lakehavasu02.jpg 

Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 PM  

New Haven, CT / New Haven County
Skeeters; hate 'em

100% Deet works. Don't put it on your skin though. Spray it on the underside of the bill of your hat, on the outside of the back of your hat. around your ankles, up the seam of your jeans, around your waist. THEN (here's the secret) take a cheap/thin dishtowel and spray about 1/2 of one side of it, roll it up with the Deet side on the inner roll and hang it around your neck. Then, repeat every 4 hours.
You may wish to spray the cuffs of your shirt or the hem of your tee shirt sleeves too.

If you do get bit after this, when you get inside, slather some rubbing alcohol on the bites and give the bumps a quick rub with another dish towel soaked in the rubbing alcohol.

I've used this in the Adirondacks & the Green Mountains with great results. The mosquitoes hang about 5 feet away and get closer with each passing hour until at hour four they're getting brave and try landing.

as always- Your Mileage May Vary
Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I fully agree Deet works. If I needed repellent often I'd agree on no skin contact too.

Ontario mosquitoes are very like the Minnesota species. Ravenous bloodsuckers! Fortunately late May evenings are cool and long sleeve shirts are comfortable.

The Willamette Valley has such good drainage little standing water exists.

Black flies in Northern Minnesota are beyond pests, they're terrifying. I doubt anything like Deet existed in the early "50's".
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM  

Trent, Texas
Well I guess we were just lucky, as out house was being built we had a pair of mud swallows (not sure what they really are, but tey build their nests underpasses out of mud). We did not chase them off and they raised a clutch of little ones, the good thing about them is they eat all bugs not just skeeters. In the following years they keep coming back and bring their friends and family we have had as many as three pairs raising families, in recent years they raise three cluches a year. Yeah the poop allover the porch under their nests, but that is easy to clean and a small price to pay for the "service" they provide, now I just need to put the bat houses up and have bats move in and do night duty on the bugs. And by the way the swallows are better than Purple Martins, we don't have to buy and clean out their home for them to come nest, and the swallows eat any bug that flies.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Yeah the poop allover the porch under their nests, but that is easy to clean and a small price to pay for the "service" they provide, now I just need to put the bat houses up and have bats move in and do night duty on the bugs. And by the way the swallows are better than Purple Martins, we don't have to buy and clean out their home for them to come nest, and the swallows eat any bug that flies.
We had swallows at a cottage in the country I rented for a few years. It felt like having air cover in combat. Those buggers have only one speed, FULL AHEAD!

You have a perfect defense with the bats added. I checked already and dragonflies don;t ship well or I'd suggest adding them to your mix.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
The Off candles seem to be working alright, but they don't last long.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Great, they're just getting a hand on hive collapse syndrome in bees when now it's bats who are in trouble.

Quote:
White nose syndrome
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little brown bat with white nose syndrome.
White nose syndrome (WNS) is a poorly understood malady associated with the deaths of more than a million bats.[1] The condition, named for a distinctive fungal growth around the muzzles and on the wings of many affected animals, was first identified in a cave in Schoharie County, New York, USA, in February 2006,[2] and started showing up in the news after January 2007.[3] It spread to other New York caves and into Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut[4] in 2008.[5] In early 2009 it was confirmed in New Hampshire,[6] New Jersey, Pennsylvania,[7] West Virginia [4] and in March 2010 in Ontario, Canada, and northern Tennessee.[8][9] As of spring 2010, the condition had been found in over 115 caves and mines ranging throughout the Northeastern US as far south as Tennessee and as far west as Oklahoma and into Quebec and Ontario Provinces in Canada.[10]
The US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) has called for a moratorium on caving activities in the affected areas,[11] and strongly recommends that any clothing or equipment used in such areas be decontaminated after each use.
The National Speleological Society (NSS) maintains an up-to-date page[12] to keep cavers apprised of current events and advisories.
It's near Seattle already. The bats in most of the country gather in huge numbers in caves where the fungus spreads easily. In the NW bats tend to stay in smaller clusters or remain alone. The hope is that this might save some species.

Bats worth billions to agriculture: pest-control services at risk as populations decline
USGS News Release (March 31, 2011)
Science: Economic Importance of Bats in Agriculture

USGS Release: Bats Worth Billions to Agriculture: Pest-control Services at Risk (3/31/2011 4:38:46 PM)

Quote:
Bats and White-Nose Syndrome

In 2007, approximately 8,000 to 11,000 bats died in several New York caves, more than half of the wintering bat population in those caves. Cavers first noticed large numbers of dead bats around the mouth of one cave and reported it to wildlife officials in February 2006. Many of the dead bats had a white ring of fungus around their nose. Most affected hibernating bats in the region have white fungal growth on their ears, wings or nose. This condition is called White-nose Syndrome (WNS) and is associated with high bat mortality in the northeastern United States.

Today, the fungus is estimated to have killed over a million hibernating bat species in more than 15 states and 2 Canadian provinces. Little brown bats, once a common bat in the area, are sustaining the largest number of deaths. A recent Department of Environmental Conservation survey shows a 93% decline of little brown bats in 23 caves at the epicenter of WNS. Currently five other hibernating bat species are affected by the fungus: big brown bat, northern myotis, tri-colored bat, eastern small-footed myotis and Indiana bat. The federally endangered Indiana bat has shown a decline of 53% in the epicenter caves. What is this fungus and how is it killing the bats?

Thats what many bat scientists are asking themselves as well. We still dont have all of the answers. The white fungus found on the bats is a cold loving fungus now scientifically called Geomyces destructans. Dead bats with the white nose have exhausted their fat reserves and the fungus is thought to be a causing agent. Recent research has shown that WNS-affected bats are awaking as often as every 3-4 days as opposed to the normal every 10-20 days. Unfortunately, about 90% of the bats affected perish due to starvation.

The bat conservation community is deeply concerned and involved in identifying the possible cause of the disease. The focus is to identify the cause of the outbreak and deaths, and to also learn how the fungus spreads. Recently WNS fungus has been found and identified in France. However it is yet unsure if the fungus came from Europe or has been transmitted from the U.S. Bat to bat transmission of WNS has been documented and a great amount of research is focusing on the mode of transmission and the cause of the fungus. Currently there is no cure for White Nose Syndrome. There is no information indicating that people have been affected after exposure to the white fungus.
White-nose Syndrome | Bat Conservation

Quote:
What can you do to help?

You should not handle bats. If you come across live or dead bats with white-nose syndrome, contact your state wildlife agency or a nearby U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office. Cavers are asked to continue to observe all cave closures and advisories, and to avoid caves or passages of caves containing large hibernating populations of any bat species. Plant moth-attracting wildflower gardens to give bats food to eat. Leave up dead or dying trees to give bats natural shelter. Build or buy a bat house to provide adequate roosting for bats in your area. Teach your friends and family about the importance of bats. Donate Today!

Good News! The good news is that not all bats are being affected by WNS. Migrating bats (red, hoary, silver, etc.) have not been found with the fungus. Some colonies of big-eared bats living in the same caves as affected little brown bats have not gotten the fungus. This may be because they hibernate in a slightly warmer part of the cave. Some European bats have been found with the fungus but do not seem to be harmed. Researchers are working day and night, winter and summer, to find a way to slow or stop the spread of WNS.
On 12 March 2009, a greater mouse-eared bat (Myotis myotis) found in a cave near P?rigueux showed the telltale white nose. It was captured, and a sample of the fungus was taken. Both morphological and genetic tests showed that the bat in France was infected with G. destructans, the same fungus infecting bats in North America. Because this individual bat was not underweight, in contrast to infected bats in the U.S. and Canada, it is thought that the fungus is native to Europe and old world bats have a resistance to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_nose_syndrome
Mosquito Repellent-wns-photo.jpg 

Mosquito Repellent-a1789_1715.jpg 

Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm looking into building a bat house. I just like the thought of having bats everywhere.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!