Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM  

Sterling, VA
Outdoor Floodlights

I just installed a couple floodlights on the corners of my house last weekend.
They can be set either as a motion detection or on at dusk off at dawn.
Anyone know about how long these type lights last? I don't want to be going up and down a 30' ladder any more than I have to.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 AM  

I will say there are just too many variables to give you a good answer. I set my motion detectors to minimum sensitivity and minimum time on, and they have lasted 7 years so far. If you want to save energy costs and replacement hassles, you could try the coiled flourescent outdoor lights. They are not as bright, but last a real long time.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM  

Sammamish, WA
If they are the long tubular halogen type with a little bent wire on each end, mine lasted about 3 years. The darned bulbs were $15 each to replace, but I found some on E-bay for just $5 a few days after I had bought them.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I will say there are just too many variables to give you a good answer. I set my motion detectors to minimum sensitivity and minimum time on, and they have lasted 7 years so far. If you want to save energy costs and replacement hassles, you could try the coiled flourescent outdoor lights. They are not as bright, but last a real long time.
I used those CFL as my floodlights for one winter. They take too long to brighten up for me and then they are not as bright in the end. Maybe it saves electricity but in the winter it gets dark by 4:30 in the afternoon and I like my floodlights to be bright.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM  

Yes, I completely agree with you. I'm not sold on them myself for the exact same reason. I will tell you I just purchased a pair of LED lights, which I installed above my kitchen stove. They are brighter than I had ever imagined.

They are real easy on energy costs, but the $25 per bulb almost made me throw up!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Yes, I completely agree with you. I'm not sold on them myself for the exact same reason. I will tell you I just purchased a pair of LED lights, which I installed above my kitchen stove. They are brighter than I had ever imagined.

They are real easy on energy costs, but the $25 per bulb almost made me throw up!
I haven't really used LEDs except in flashlights. Do they have LEDs for normal house lights?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 PM  

Yes, they are relatively new, so bring another wheelbarrow of money if you want to try them!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I think I'll just pay my electric bill for now.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM  

Worcester, Massachusetts
I have flourescent lamps in my floods and they are very bright! They just take a while to warm up when its really cold outside. I would suggest them if you dont want to keep replacing them.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.