Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Pest Treatments

What do you guys use to kill and keep the bugs from coming back?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Depends on the bugs. Ants are my only problem here. The building has termites and ant tunnels all through it. I use Terro in the bathroom where the ants seem to seek water.

The stove and kitchen counter draw the most numbers. I lure them out with crumbs or other food. Once I have a couple hundred they're swept into a sink with parboil hot water. Usually 3 or 4 of these massacres and they disappear for a month or two.
Their access is usually cracked caulking between tiles. I regrout with a grout mixed with some banned insecticide. Each year brings 3 or 4 new ant invasions all ending with many dead ants.

While visiting in Mississippi I met the local "waterbug". Sure hope Texas was spared those critters.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM  
Traveler

Mosquitoes here. Blood sucking b..........BAGH!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Depends on the bugs. Ants are my only problem here. The building has termites and ant tunnels all through it. I use Terro in the bathroom where the ants seem to seek water.

The stove and kitchen counter draw the most numbers. I lure them out with crumbs or other food. Once I have a couple hundred they're swept into a sink with parboil hot water. Usually 3 or 4 of these massacres and they disappear for a month or two.
Their access is usually cracked caulking between tiles. I regrout with a grout mixed with some banned insecticide. Each year brings 3 or 4 new ant invasions all ending with many dead ants.

While visiting in Mississippi I met the local "waterbug". Sure hope Texas was spared those critters.
We have them, I hate them too.

I have a wide variety of insects I'm living with. I'm having to go spray wasps nest weekly.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
I have pretty good luck with Ortho Home Defense Max. It's been good for indoors as well as outdoors for me. It's oderless, colorless, and leaves no residue. Works for about a month or so.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I'm having to go spray wasps nest weekly.
In your eaves? There should be some spray to use that keeps them off lumber but we have one type that nests in the ground and they're very protective.

Best way to work with bees and wasps for me was a headnet over a broad brimmed hat. I tuck the bottom into rain gear I wear from neck to ankle and tape the cuffs tight too. Anywhere they can sting through will be found. Boots are almost a must have item.
It gets hot fast so work quickly.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
I have pretty good luck with Ortho Home Defense Max. It's been good for indoors as well as outdoors for me. It's oderless, colorless, and leaves no residue. Works for about a month or so.
I tried one of those Spray once a year products, they are still making it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
In your eaves? There should be some spray to use that keeps them off lumber but we have one type that nests in the ground and they're very protective.

Best way to work with bees and wasps for me was a headnet over a broad brimmed hat. I tuck the bottom into rain gear I wear from neck to ankle and tape the cuffs tight too. Anywhere they can sting through will be found. Boots are almost a must have item.
It gets hot fast so work quickly.
I just spray and run.

They aren't as bad now that I sty on top of it, and they don't rebuild anywhere the old nests, so they are running out of room.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Man, wasps are a breeze. No need to get all bundled up. I've killed many many wasps nests. The sunny side of my house is like a little wasp world unless I kill them off.

Get yourself some wasp/hornet blaster that shoots about 15 feet. I usually stay back about 5 or so feet and just nail that nest with the poison and start to back off when they all start falling out of the nest but aren't quite dead yet.

The trick is to do it at night when they're all in the nest. There's no point getting them all riled up during daylight hours
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Man, wasps are a breeze. No need to get all bundled up. I've killed many many wasps nests. The sunny side of my house is like a little wasp world unless I kill them off.

Get yourself some wasp/hornet blaster that shoots about 15 feet. I usually stay back about 5 or so feet and just nail that nest with the poison and start to back off when they all start falling out of the nest but aren't quite dead yet.

The trick is to do it at night when they're all in the nest. There's no point getting them all riled up during daylight hours
That's what I've been doing then in the morning I go knock them down with a broom.

I got a big one with a rock when we first moved in, one of those shots where you're think no way then when it happens the excitement ism immediately replaced with the flight instinct.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Yah, that's happened a few times

Those things can fly pretty fast when they're irate.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!