Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
The bottom line is........bugs will always come back.
Kill them one year and start over the next.
It's like Groundhog Day.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Groundhog Day....great analogy.

I couldn't be a Buddhist. I think I could go vegan but I'm in this bug war to win. I ignore two spiders in my bathroom but I've murdered 500 plus ants in my kitchen. Last Fall I was all but dancing with glee from finding a thousand newly emerged baby spiders on the deck. WD40 & a Bic made them crispy critters.

I think it's B3 (smells like cod liver oil) that you can take a megadose of to repel mosquitoes. It really works but you don't really smell very nice. B vitamins are water soluble so excess is passed off in the urine.

Anyone ever try those belt clipon battery powered mosquito repellers?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Yah, that's happened a few times

Those things can fly pretty fast when they're irate.
That they can, now if only my wife and kid could keep up.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
The bottom line is........bugs will always come back.
Kill them one year and start over the next.
It's like Groundhog Day.
I know it, I'm just looking for something to stop them now.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Each night a bat eats half it's weight (or more) in mosquitoes.

Sources for Dragonflies?

here's a commercial source:
http://www.berkshirebio.com/bene.html

Here's another source that ships live dragonfly nymphs
Dragonfly Nymphs Living Specimen | WARD'S Natural Science
Pest Treatments-bat-house-clean-air.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat_house44.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat_house.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat_house_detailed.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bathousebuilders.gif 

Pest Treatments-outsidebat.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bathouse.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat-house-x.jpg 

Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Pest Treatments

Quote:
Tips To Build A Better Bat House
April 12, 2011 By rhgreenb Leave a Comment

Article by Jonathan Black
Regardless if building a bat house from available plans or investing in a pre-made house, many considerations affect a its chance of success. The solutions to these regularly-asked questions cover the fundamentals.
By supplying bats with a roosting territory, you furthermore benefit by having a smaller amount of patio and garden pests like mosquitoes and ants. It may seem like barely a trickle in the bucket yet we can address chemical pest control and establish a cleaner, healthier ecosystem. Boxes maybe placed up at any time of the year. They will generally be occupied in the first three to four weeks after they have been put in place. Installing a bat house and exposing it to the rain and sun will darken the color even more increasing the chances of attracting bats to your box all the more better.
Installing these boxes and making watchful assessments offer an extraordinary time to understand more about bat roosting expectations.
Bat House Tips
Design.
You may want to think about design when selecting the house for our furry friends. Larger bat boxes have higher habitation rates than the more compact residences. All landing areas and partition surfaces will ideally be rough. Ports are generally most suitable where average July temperatures surpass 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dwelling
Your bat house will need to be placed within 1/4 mile of a natural water source such as a stream, brook, or pond. Bats tend to fly along woods or water edges, and bat houses placed here have a tendency to be found more quickly than other sites.
Installing
You can position your bat house on a tree, pole, or a building; still, boxes mounted on poles or buildings tend to deliver a higher occupancy than those mounted on trees. For hanging on buildings, wood or stone constructions are best, and your bat house should really be attached under the loft with a lot of sun exposure. You should mount your house 15-20 feet above the surface. It should not be in a region lit by gleaming lights.
Timing
You can mount your box at any season, but those put up in the spring are usually occupied more swiftly. If you are evicting a colony of bats from a structure, a box ought to be placed quite a few weeks prior to the eviction.
Is My Area Ideal For Bats?
A domain is ideal if it meets their requisite for eating, water, and sanctuary. The existence of a rather large source of fresh water, notably a stream, river, or lake, is one of the foremost signs of good bat habitat. Such areas provide not only fresh water, but also superb hunting grounds for insects. Nearby bat colonies in buildings as well as close proximity to cave or mine hibernating locations is recommended. A mixture of cleared land and wooded areas is also practical.
Positioning?
The edges of houses or tall poles supply the best security. Situate the house 12 to 20 feet off the ground, ensuring that there are no nearby limbs allowing predators access to the house. Do not place the bat house near bright lights. Some bats won?t even venture out when there is a full moon.
About the Author
Need step-by-step how to instructions? Jonathan Black, your go to source for bat house plans, breaks it down for you by making it easier than ever to do it yourself. Go to Woodworking Plans for your comprehensive and easy-to-follow instructions.
Another resource to find Plans for your bat house is Woodworking Plans and Designs - Woodworking4Home
Pest Treatments-backyardbirdcompany_.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat9jpg.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bat-1.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bats4-14-.gif 

Pest Treatments-swallow.gif 

Pest Treatments-bat_johnsonbathouse_henderson.jpg 

Pest Treatments-bats4.gif 

Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Criteria for Successful Bat Houses

Criteria for Successful Bat Houses

Whether you build or buy a bat house, make sure the dimensions meet the criteria below. Following these construction and installation guidelines will greatly increase your odds of attracting bats. These recommendations are based on 12 years of bat house research conducted across the U.S, Canada, and the Caribbean. Small, poorly made houses commonly sold in stores or any house improperly installed are likely to fail.

Design - All bat houses should be at least 2 feet tall, have chambers at least 20 inches tall and 14 inches wide, and have a landing area extending below the entrance at least 3 to 6 inches (some houses feature recessed partitions that offer landing space inside). Taller and wider houses are even better. Rocket boxes should be at least 3 feet tall and have at least 12 inches of linear roost space. Most bat houses have one to four roosting chambers – the more the better. Roost partitions should be carefully spaced 3/4 to 1 inch apart. All partitions and landing areas should be roughened. Wood surfaces can be scratched or grooved horizontally, at roughly 1/4 to1/2-inch intervals, or covered with durable, square plastic mesh (1/8" or 1/4" inch mesh, available from companies such as Internet, Inc. at 1-800-328-8456). Include vents approximately 6 inches from the bottom of all houses 24 to 32 inches tall where average July high temperatures are 850 F or above. Front vents are as long as a house is wide, and side vents are 6 inches tall by 1/2 inch wide. Houses 36” tall or taller should have vets approximately 10” to 12“ from the bottom

Construction - For wooden houses, a combination of exterior plywood (ACX, BCX, or T1-11 grade) and cedar is best. Plywood for bat house exteriors should be ?-inch thick or greater and have at least four plies. Do not use pressure-treated wood. Any screws, hardware or staples used must be exterior grade (galvanized, coated, stainless, etc.). To increase longevity, use screws rather than nails. Caulk all seams, especially around the roof. Alternative materials, such as plastic or fiber-cement board, may last longer and require less maintenance.

Wood Treatment - For the exterior, apply three coats of exterior grade, water-based paint or stain. Available observations suggest that color should be black where average high temperatures in July are less than 85o F, dark colors (such as dark brown or dark gray) where they are 85 to 95 o F, medium colors where they are 95 to 100 o F and white or light colors where they exceed 100 o F. Much depends upon the amount of sun exposure; adjust to darker colors for less sun. For the interior, use two coats dark, exterior grade, water-based stain. Apply stain after creating scratches or grooves or prior to stapling plastic mesh. Paint fills grooves, making them unusable.
HTML Code:
http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/conservation/bats/successfulhouses.php

Bat House Color Recommendations and Average Daily High Temperatures in July

Sun Exposure - Houses where high temperatures in July average 80 o F or less, should receive at least 10 hours of sun; more is better. At least six hours of direct daily sun are recommended for all bat houses where daily high temperatures in July average less than 100 o F. Full, all-day sun is often successful in all but the hottest climates. To create favorable conditions for maternity colonies in summer, internal bat house temperatures should stay between 80 o F and 100 o F as long as possible.

Habitat - Most nursery colonies of bats choose roosts within 1/4 mile of water, preferably a stream, river or lake. Greatest bat house success has been achieved in areas of diverse habitat, especially where there is a mixture of varied agricultural use and natural vegetation. Bat houses are most likely to succeed in regions where bats are already attempting to live in buildings.

Mounting - Bat houses should be mounted on buildings or poles. Houses mounted on trees or metal siding are seldom used. Wood, brick, or stone buildings with proper solar exposure are excellent choices, and locations under the eaves often are successful. Single-chamber houses work best when mounted on buildings. Mounting two bat houses back to back on poles is ideal (face one house north, the other south). Place houses 3/4 inch apart and cover with a galvanized metal roof to protect the center roosting space from rain. All bat houses should be mounted at least 12 feet above ground; 15 to 20 feet is better. Bat houses should not be lit by bright lights.

Protection from Predators - Houses mounted on sides of buildings or on metal poles provide the best protection from predators. Metal predator guards may be helpful, especially on wooden poles. Bat houses may be found more quickly if located along forest or water edges where bats tend to fly; however, they should be placed at least 20 to 25 feet from the nearest tree branches, wires or other potential perches for aerial predators.

Avoiding Uninvited Guests - Wasps can be a problem before bats fully occupy a house. Use of 3/4-inch roosting spaces reduces wasp use. If nests accumulate, they should be removed in late winter or early spring before either wasps or bats return. Open-bottom houses greatly reduce problems with birds, mice, squirrels or parasites, and guano does not accumulate inside.

Timing - Bat houses can be installed at any time of the year, but are more likely to be used during their first summer if installed before the bats return in spring. When using bat houses in conjunction with excluding a colony from a building, install the bat houses at least two to six weeks before the actual eviction, if possible.

Importance of Local Experimentation - It is best to test for local needs before putting up more than three to six houses, especially comparing those of different darkness and sun exposure.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I have bats here and in the country, but they don't seem to make much of a difference for most of the day. The mosquitos are still fierce.

I'm a big fan of borax drops for ants.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I have bats here and in the country, but they don't seem to make much of a difference for most of the day. The mosquitos are still fierce.

I'm a big fan of borax drops for ants.
How would I use the Borax. Most skeeter activity is around sunset into the night. If you're going between house & gazebo it would help having lotsa bats but days are on you or the dragonflies.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
A bat castle is an awesome idea! We have them all over Texas so it would probably find some inhabitants quickly.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads