Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM  

Solar Lights!

Now, this is a great idea, which I found while perusing the web.

How many people have probably never thought of bringing solar lights inside when the power failed?

Last week, a thunderstorm rolled through our neighborhood and a huge oak tree came down on some power lines, creating a power outage for a large area around us. We lost power for about 5 hours.

We were scrambling around in the darkness, looking for matches, candles, flashlights, etc.

We looked outside, and noticed our solar lights shining brightly all around our patio, stairs, dock, etc. They were beautiful. My wife walked outside, and brought several of the solar lights inside.

We stuck the solar light pipes into plastic drink bottles containers and they made the nicest, brightest, safest, lighting you could ever imagine.

We put one in the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room, etc. There was plenty of light. There are all types of solar lights available. We put them all around our yard. They look nice and they do not attract flying bugs like the outdoor lights around our doorway.

The lights we have fit into the small (20oz) water bottles and they also fit into most of the larger liter bottles. If you need a weight in the plastic bottle to keep them from tipping over, you can put a few of the pretty colorful "flat marbles" that they put in aquariums, and vases. (you can also use sand, aquarium gravel, etc., whatever you have available).

The lights we have were perfect inside our home. They burn all night long if you need them.

The next day, you just take your solar lights back outside and they will instantly recharge and be ready for you to use again any time you need them. Perfect for power outages, hurricanes, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM  
fustrated genius

They last awhile too, we bought some in the late 90's or early 2000's and several are still working. Cheap ones too.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM  

O'Fallon, IL
I always keep stock of batteries and a few flashlights in different areas of the house. This is so much simpler, great tip!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I am a big fan of solar lights. They make our gardens looks great at night, but using them during a blackout would probably never have occurred to me. Excellent idea!

Merci!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
inside

I just put some on the outside walk this past weekend. Actually, once I saw what they looked like at night, I thought the same thing, that I could use them as nightlights inside.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM  

Houston, Texas
Never thought of that. I guess that's why there are wives. Great idea.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.