Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
Tankless water heaters?

I want to install a tankless heater in a corner of the house that has 1 bathroom and the laundry room. Hot water from the main heater takes forever to get there. Natural gas is already there for the clothes dryer and it will be mounted outside on the exterior wall (no special venting needed)
Does anyone know what size would be needed and what brands are best.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM  

I have a Navien NR-240a TWH. It is mounted outside, has a recirc. pump, a remote control, and is 98% efficient. I love it! For more information, check out:

www.plumbingforums.com

Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM  

A little off-topic, but I was very interested in a whole-house electric tankless water heater. Unfortunately, I don't have natural gas. I've done the research and find it isn't worthy going whole-house electric. But maybe a smaller unit is..
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM  

The small electric units work well when water usage is limited to one small room, but don't expect it to supply all of your hot water needs without a supplemental source of hot water.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM  

Chicago, IL.
Rinnai

Rinnai tankless heater or Buffalo
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM  

Rochester, New York
My hot water tank decided to do a fine impression of a geyser in Yellowstone National Park a year or so back and we called a guy to come out to replace it. Before he got started, we asked if a tankless hot-water-on-demand system would be cheaper in the long run.

He asked "Do you have two or more teenage daughters?"

That puzzled me, but I said "Thank God almighty, no."

He said "Go with a conventional tank, then."

According to this guy, if you're going to have folks (in his experience, teenage girls) par-boiling themselves for half an hour at least once a day, the tankless system is probably a really great money saver. He said the money loss in tankless systems comes whenever you turned the hot water on only briefly like to wash your hands. He said he has installed them in about a dozen houses and removed them a couple months later in eight of those homes due to complaints of extremely high gas bills. If you use a lot of hot water continuously, they're great. Otherwise, they can cost you a LOT more.

I'm just passing on info I've heard. It could be nonsense. YMMV, caveat emptor, watch your back, beware of swindlers, etc. ad nauseum.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM  

Many higher end units have built in recirc pumps, and a small tank of built in hot water. I was also concerned about my gas consumption so I watched the bill for an entire year. My gas bills went from an average of $32 per month down to $18 per month since the install. My two teen girls have grown up and only visit occasionally, so it is just my wife and I most of the time.

In my area, the gas price is minimal compared to water usage, which has increased nearly 300% in just two years. With the recirc pump, my water usage has decreased by about 50%, and the increases have not hurt the wallet too badly.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM  

mn
ive had a tankless for 4 years . I,m on propane , and I can tell the savings Ive had has more then paid for it .. after the tankless was put in and the kids (8 grand kids ) found out you don't run out of hat water, Boy did the showers get long .. the only thing the wife does not like is when she washs her hair she can't turn the water off in be tween like she did before .. thats the one draw back of the tankless .. will I put another in when this one goes bad ,, sure will , only it will be another brand .. so Oe vote for the tankless .. as for wasting gas when you wash your hands , thje saving the gas when your at ,work , school and sleping more then makes up for that little,.. all have a fan that goes on when te water is turned on , and that goes for 20 seconds or so be fore the flame comes on the turn ing it on to wash your hands , it depends how long hand washing takes , with a tank heater do you wait for warm water .. if you do it wouldnt make much dif as far as the gas. lok at it this way it takes so much gas to heat a gal of water , no matter if its tank or tankless , but it also takes gas to hold the gal of water at that temp over night or until it is used

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!