Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
What we did a few times when I was a kid was to dig around the stump and cut through the roots with an ax, then loop a heavy chain under the stump and used my Dad's 78 F150 to yank them out of the earth.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM  

West Bloomfield, Mi
cut a big hole in it and fill with a mixture of diesel fuel and fertilizer, then set it off it will now be a neighbors problem.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM  

Virginia
Had a portable stump grinder take mine out.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 AM  

Valparaiso, Indiana
I normal dig around the roots, and chop what I can (as mentioned). Then just use the good ole 12k Warn winch on my truck to pull em out.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM  

Valencia, California
Contact a tree removal service, they will almost always have a stump grinder. In less than an hour, you will get the stump ground down to whatever negative depth you require.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 PM  

Bluff City, TN
Cut them down low to the ground. Take a drill with a large spade bit and drill 4-5 holes into each stump. Pour kerosene or white gas (coleman gas) into the holes you drilled cover the stumps with plastic. A plastic garbage bag will do the trick. Leave it there over night. Pour some more gas in the stumps. Cover with plastic for a day or 2. Remove plastic and put a small amount of gas in the holes and light it. This will burn the stump out way down into the roots. Leave you with a small hole in the ground where the stump burned out.

Do not use your chainsaw. It will destroy not only the blade but the bar and clutch mechanism. Not worth the cool factor of taking a chainsaw to it. Now if you rent a chainsaw, hell yeah get after it biggun'.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM  

Riverside, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape934 View Post
Cut them down low to the ground. Take a drill with a large spade bit and drill 4-5 holes into each stump. Pour kerosene or white gas (coleman gas) into the holes you drilled cover the stumps with plastic. A plastic garbage bag will do the trick. Leave it there over night. Pour some more gas in the stumps. Cover with plastic for a day or 2. Remove plastic and put a small amount of gas in the holes and light it. This will burn the stump out way down into the roots. Leave you with a small hole in the ground where the stump burned out.

Do not use your chainsaw. It will destroy not only the blade but the bar and clutch mechanism. Not worth the cool factor of taking a chainsaw to it. Now if you rent a chainsaw, hell yeah get after it biggun'.
Vindicated likes this idea.

Member: Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 PM  

Mt. Horeb, wi
There used to be a product that would burn them out. Drill holes in the stump, pour in and light. Don't know if it is available yet or what the laws are in your area but if you can it gives a nice smell to the air kind of like a big incense stick....grin. or dig, chop and pull or....call around to the rental centers to locate a small stump grinder. I've used one on 12" to 18" stumps and it was a good time....grin costs as much or so as going to the nearest six flags and imho was more fun..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.