Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 AM  

waipahu, hawaii
well water..

i dont understand how it works ! another thing is how come residents out in the country dont get garbage pick up, city water or waiste?isnt that why we pay taxes , so the city has the $ to offer city services such as water and garbage pick up?

im going home after 18 years... my dad's place is out in the country..

he told me they burn their garbage in a barrel, and haul in water on a water tank on a trailer.. the house had ran off well water, but the pump broke ,, so it dont haven no running water at all..

i remember from when i was a kid, there was a shower and toilet,and kitchen sink that had running water.. THANK GOD..

but my dad said something that there was only a cold water line,that if i wanted hot water,id have to run a hot water line to everything...
no big deal , ive worked as a plumber before.. the water pump that pumps water from the well to the house is broken, should be as simple as replace the pump, add a hot water line and install a water heater.

my dad said he never bothered fixing the pump because the water from the well would turn your clothing in to a rusty color, and it would make your hair feel weird if you showered with it.. its nasty to drink also..

what confuses me is,he said the well is great for a storm shelter... if a tornado came , just jump in the well... ( i think its just a lazy issue because the house does have a basement.) he said since the pump is broken,theres no water in the well.... i thought the pump would pump the water from the well? i didnt understand it when he explained it..

he also said the well water isnt reliable in the winter because itll freeze..
i was also told that its just best to dig a new well and pump water from a new well... but that cost $6000 he said.. i dont see wat good itd be to dig a new well , the water is gonna come from the same spot.. the ground !
what would the difference be?

my main concern is getting running water back in to the house, so we can shower and have a flushing toilet and be able to dishes ect...

installing a new pump,running a hot water line and water heater is no big deal, im just confused by this whole well thing..

we was also talking about septic tanks.. he said there is no septic tank,,
well the waiste from the toilet had to go somewhere, there is no city septic that far out side of town... so where would it be going? thered have to be some form of a septic tank some where rite?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM  

Septic tanks are usually purchased and maintained by the owner of the property, not the city. If he never had one, this just might be your first job once you move back home. Once the tank is in place, the leach fields with draw out the liquids and with some enzymes, your solids should biodegrade with only an occasional pump out by a service you pay for.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM  
fustrated genius

You HAUL WATER? HERE? IN AMERICA? How trashy is THAT? (me too) don't have a well yet, I have to wait til I'm 60 because my money's all tied up in a 72T account and the Gov will hammer the tar out of me if I withdraw early. So until then, I'm a water haulin desert trash with an untouchable wad, while good samaritan Americans send millions of dollars to africa somewhere so they can have running water. (dirty rat &%@#@%'s !!)

I also have a septic. Had it installed about 12-13 yrs ago and had people come pump it out a few yrs back. They recommend every 5 yrs but mine was not even near full.

The electricity was nonexistant, so I ran solar panels and inverters and was off the grid for 10 or so yrs. (solar is NOT all it's cracked up to be, bunch of hype)

No cable TV, no phone service (cells are shaky-flakey reception), no internet service (satelite net)

and 25 miles to the nearest pavement. But DANG, I LOVE IT. Screw that city stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfburglar View Post
i dont understand how it works ! another thing is how come residents out in the country dont get garbage pick up, city water or waiste?isnt that why we pay taxes , so the city has the $ to offer city services such as water and garbage pick up?

im going home after 18 years... my dad's place is out in the country..

he told me they burn their garbage in a barrel, and haul in water on a water tank on a trailer.. the house had ran off well water, but the pump broke ,, so it dont haven no running water at all..

i remember from when i was a kid, there was a shower and toilet,and kitchen sink that had running water.. THANK GOD..

but my dad said something that there was only a cold water line,that if i wanted hot water,id have to run a hot water line to everything...
no big deal , ive worked as a plumber before.. the water pump that pumps water from the well to the house is broken, should be as simple as replace the pump, add a hot water line and install a water heater.

my dad said he never bothered fixing the pump because the water from the well would turn your clothing in to a rusty color, and it would make your hair feel weird if you showered with it.. its nasty to drink also..

what confuses me is,he said the well is great for a storm shelter... if a tornado came , just jump in the well... ( i think its just a lazy issue because the house does have a basement.) he said since the pump is broken,theres no water in the well.... i thought the pump would pump the water from the well? i didnt understand it when he explained it..

i was also told that its just best to dig a new well and pump water from a new well... but that cost $6000 he said.. i dont see wat good itd be to dig a new well , the water is gonna come from the same spot.. the ground !

my main concern is getting running water back in to the house, so we can shower and have a flushing toilet and be able to dishes ect...

installing a new pump,running a hot water line and water heater is no big deal, im just confused by this whole well thing..

we was also talking about septic tanks.. he said there is no septic tank,,
well the waiste from the toilet had to go somewhere, there is no city septic that far out side of town... so where would it be going? thered have to be some form of a septic tank some where rite?
We have a well on our farm in Manitoba that supplies the house with water and also the cattle with drinking water. We do not really use the water that comes from this well for drinking and cooking, it is mainly for washing and doing the dishes and such. Our drinking and cooking water comes from town that we haul in 5 gallon buckets to the house. We usually have 5 or 6 of these on hand at any given time.
Now with that said, the water that we have has a very high iron content along with other minerals and things that make the water turn your clothes a different color.
The way ours works to get the pressure to the house, (as the well is like 1000 feet or more from the house) is that I have a submersible pump in the well that pumps the water to a pressure tank in the basement. That tank maintains a constant pressure of 55 PSI, this can be changed at anytime by just making an adjustment to the pressure tank.
In the near future what I am planning on doing to make this water more potable is adding a cistern along with a filtering system that consists of a 5 to 10 micron filter bag to remove most of the minerals first, from there it will go through another filter/softener that is run basically with electricity. Then one final step is to run it though a ultra violet light filter to kill off any remaining bacterial. By the time this water has passed through my filtering system it should be clear and fit for anyone to drink.
I know it sounds like a lot but not really, I have thought about this for a very long time. The filtering system and the pumps will be run from the wind power generating system that is in the planning stages for this project.
One of the things you should check is to make sure that there is still water in that well of your. If your father is saying that it runs dry and or freezes in the winter the well just might be running out of water and a new aquifer might just have to be found to supply you with water. If there is water still in the well the best thing to do is to take a sample and have it tested to see just what is in the water and then that way you will know what you need to do to filter it. The test that I had done were done by the university and the cost was minimal.
It all depends on how much and how far you want to go to have clean drinking water there.
Like they say "where there's a well there's a way."
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM  

waipahu, hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
You HAUL WATER? HERE? IN AMERICA? How trashy is THAT? (me too) don't have a well yet, I have to wait til I'm 60 because my money's all tied up in a 72T account and the Gov will hammer the tar out of me if I withdraw early. So until then, I'm a water haulin desert trash with an untouchable wad, while good samaritan Americans send millions of dollars to africa somewhere so they can have running water. (dirty rat &%@#@%'s !!) I also have a septic. Had it installed about 12-13 yrs ago and had people come pump it out a few yrs back. They recommend every 5 yrs but mine was not even near full. The electricity was nonexistant, so I ran solar panels and inverters and was off the grid for 10 or so yrs. (solar is NOT all it's cracked up to be, bunch of hype) No cable TV, no phone service (cells are shaky-flakey reception), no internet service (satelite net) and 25 miles to the nearest pavement. But DANG, I LOVE IT. Screw that city stuff.
i dont have a have a problem with hauling in water,im sure thats how it was done before running was around. i just want running water for toilet flushing and shower purposes... aparently how they do it now is crap in a ice cream container ,toss it in the corn field... take a sponge bath using a bucket of water every couple of days to conserve on water.. drinking water hauled in using jugs of water from the store.. laundry is taken in to town to get washed once a week.. ( i wont be able to do that taking a sponge bath every few days.the odor in the house would be sickening )

since well the well water dont work in the winter as i was told, i had the idea of putting 2 big water tanks in the basement and insulate the tanks so they dont freeze, just pump water in to them them tanks,then have a pump that pumps it to the water heater and the rest of the house... Still only using water for showering ,toilet flushes and dishes ect...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM  
fustrated genius

I have a 3500 gal holding tank with a shallow well pump. I have a 275 gal tote tank on a trailer and use a transfer pump to move it to the holding tank. The shaloow wellpump then runs "on demand" to the pressure of the hse. the hot wtr heater is propane and the propane tank is a 350 gal which a local company comes & fills about twice a yr.

http://www.watertanks.com/products/5010-106.asp

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=3385
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
In PA where temps hit 20 below at times a 75 watt incandescent bulb at the top of the well head near the pump prevented freezing.

Quote:
Water softeners can eliminate minerals but I'm guessing costs can mount if the water is mineral saturated.

Sounds like pop is off the services grid which many are. Read up on life off the grid beyond the electrical aspects.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!