Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Weird. I feel a strong desire to have one to play with but I don't even have the land to put it on. I'm more into backhoes but a tractor seems to have endless uses. Liked the bug eyes on this one.
That a cool looking tractor, do you have any more info on it?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
That a cool looking tractor, do you have any more info on it?
Photo is labeled "Peter Simpson for Ford". Simpson is/was a tractor reviewer and he worked for Ford at least at one point. I have to run but these links came up in a search for Peter Simpson.
Quote:
At Onslow Park this Weekend

In the working area there will be a big plough, a Ransomes Hexatrac five furrow pulled by a crawler driven by Roy.

I bought this plough five years ago out of a Tractor & Machinary magazine, it had been parked up when reversable ploughs came in and it formed the foundation of a huge scrap ruck, where it stayed for over 40years. I rang up about it and was told it could not be seen until it had been uncovered and the scrap on top of it sold. He took my number as he did with six other people, and I never heard from him at all, he had lost all the phone numbers, and I was the first to ring him up, and he described what it was and its condition. I bought it over the phone not seen and arranged transport home. I spent nearly a year on loosening up it joints and replaced the mole boards discs and skims then painted it to match my County Crawler
HTML Code:
http://www.fwi.co.uk/community/blogs/fretaw/archive/2008/08/21/at-onslow-park-this-weekend.aspx

Look for a "County Crawler".
Gallery

More Pictures
Ultimate Tractor Power: Articulated Tractors of the World
by Peter Simpson (Hardcover - January 2001)

Gallery - Fota Island Vintage Club
Versatile a Leader in 4-Wheel-Drive Tractors
Ford Tractor Discussion Board
What Garden Tractor do you have?-zebra_milk.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-cfgd445.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-4310z.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-ccf11.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-80b6_b.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-906_b.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-140-4-.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-1957-fordson-major-county-crawler.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-beacohill-ploughing-match-13.03.05-007.jpg 

Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
There is a firm in Ludlow in Shropshire that hold all the County Tractor spares . They took it over when County Commercial Cars Ltd. stopped production . They bought the entire stock of spares off the reciever in 1983.
The people to contact are Adrian and Andrew Tavernor at New House Farm, Knowbury, Ludlow , Shropshire. SY8 3JU Daytime phone 01584-890276 or evenings 01584-879038
I have a County Ploughman and sent the manufacturers number on the plate in front of your feet when in the seat, to Thomas Andrews who researches the week and year that your tractor came off the production line,and the correct name of that pattern and skid unit used
he is very interesting to talk to and makes no charge His Tel is 01726-883195 phone between 10am and 8pm only Mon to Sat.

Joplin, Missouri, Tornado Relief - Caterpillar 657 G Wheel Tractor Scraper recovered from the damage zone. ENTIRE PURCHASE PRICE WILL BE DONATED to one of the relief agencies working in Joplin. We have selected only models that are un-damaged but have torn and damp packaging. A certificate will accompany each model certifying its recovery and your donation to charity. Thank You.

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item...21938P-TORNADO

Joplin, Missouri, Tornado Relief - Wings of Texaco Airplane Series Grumman G-21-A Amphibian recovered from the damage zone. ENTIRE PURCHASE PRICE WILL BE DONATED to one of the relief agencies working in Joplin. We have selected only models that are un-damaged but have torn and damp packaging. A certificate will accompany each model certifying its recovery and your donation to charity. Thank You.
[BC only!]
What Garden Tractor do you have?-9303.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-4250.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-6929.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-5198k.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-zjd1533.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-zjd1534.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-10-3627ty.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-county3oq.jpg 

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Joplin Relief:

HTML Code:
http://www.3000toys.com/?referer=google&farm&gclid=COzr6qS6u6kCFQbCKgodRjWHeg
Fordson_Major_based_Winch_unit
Full size: http://images.wikia.com/tractors/ima...Winch_unit.JPG

Fordson_F_Trackson_crane

don't laugh, it's a 4 ton tractor

FordsonTr_Tulare

Quote:
fordson-tractor-oilfield-harwood_hudson
HTML Code:
<<<@!2!@>>>
Quote:
I have one of the more common Fordson conversions. This is the Trackson Crawler conversion. And it's really a conversion-conversion. My friend who I got this from didn't like the low powered 4 cylinder motor or the hand crank to start Fordson features, so he put in a 1950 flathead Ford 6 cylinder car motor. He pulled wood out of the woods with it for many years. The sheet metal on top is from a Caterpiller 50 crawler. He also took the steering wheel out. Now you steer buy pulling back on one of the two steering brake levers, or on both to stop. Those are brake bands half way out the radius of the rear wheel/sprockets. Those old guys were very clever back in the days when new equipment was not even considered.
HTML Code:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/fordson-tractor-oilfield-211412/

Quote:
The post on American steam tractors got me thinking about an old Fordson tractor that is in a park nearby. Seems like lots of companies made kits to make anything you wanted out of the Fordson. This is one was used to service oil wells.

The hoist is a two speed unit made by the Wilson Mfg. Co. of Wichita Falls, TX. I suspect it was made in the late 1920's or early 30's. They were used on oil leases to pull sucker rods, tubing, and pumps from the wells. The tractors were driven alongside the derrick and the cables were strung up, the well was serviced and the process was repeated at another well.

The derrick in the photo is a light steel angle pattern that was used for service work. Most of the early wells around here were drilled with wooden derricks. Many of these were destroyed during storms or were disassembled and reused. The service derricks gradually deteriorated and were torn down and sold for scrap. I spent many an hour welding on used galvanized angle iron.

The later tractors were bigger than this but they were eventually replaced by servicing units on trucks. These trucks were equipped with gin poles later on and the derrick was no longer needed. In fact, it was in the way.
HTML Code:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/fordson-tractor-oilfield-211412/
What Garden Tractor do you have?-crawler285tvo.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-fordson_major_sn_6903_at_malvern_09_-_img_5463.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-img_1845_edited-1-small-.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-img_1865_edited-2-small-.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-img_1872_edited-1-small-.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-wilford-model-b.jpg 

Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
That's some real steel,or cast iron,right there.Awesome machines.They required skill and dexterity to operate.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's some real steel,or cast iron,right there.Awesome machines.They required skill and dexterity to operate.
I started to fetch more info for Austin and got sidetracked. These things are fantastic. You can modify them to haul wood, move stuff around in a swamp or drill for oil. I might see if I can turn up any left over from Oregon's logging heyday.
I'd bet at 4 tons you could pull a house off it's foundation.

Quote:
These are some Fordson conversions that have caught my eye:

1 Adamson-Fordson shunter as supplied to the New Zealand Government Railways in 1924. At first it seemed quite sucessful (hauling up to 136 tons), but soon proved to be too light and too slow, also the gears broke. It was still being used for light duties in 1940. The Adamson Motor Co. was based in Birmingham, Alabama. Fordson 22 hp engine, 'patent underframe', three speeds in each direction, four cast steel wheels connected with coupling rods. Crude. (photo from Cavalcade of New Zealand Locomotives by A.N. Palmer).

BTW, Hundreds of Fordson and other tractor-based locos were built in NZ for bush tramway work. They make quite a facinating group of vehicles! All sorts of drives and layouts, including shaft-drive to the logging bogie behind the tractor. Local makers included Trails, Nattrass (Wellington), Wilson (Invercargill), A&G Price (Thames), Dispatch Foundry (Greymouth) etc. The Fordson tractor seems to have been widely used by these makers in the early years, cheap and plentiful I guess.

2,3,4 Three Fordson-based machines, both full and half track, seen at the excellent Heidrick Ag Centre in Northern California around 2000. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the manufacturers - anyone got names for them? US makers I have read about include Trackson, Belle City.

Roadless and County are a couple of British makers of Fordson tracks, I suspect Asquith's photo shows a Roadless. Many of these conversions were used on WW2-era airfields to move aircraft, bombs and supplies, including around 500 David Brown Roadless crawlers (with front-mount winches) which had a bit more power (37hp) than the Fordsons.

Quote:
WD_Utility_roller_(Fordson_based)_at_Belvoir
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
These type thread makes me wanna go out and spend money I don't have on something that's totally cool that i have no real use for.Maybe I can make up a reason to use one.I better stop or I'll be selling off the house,GF,and kids to buy one.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Very rare tractor

HTML Code:
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Belvoir_Castle_Steam_Festival/2008
Ferguson-Brown

The Ferguson-Brown joint venture started selling tractors in 1936 based on Harry Ferguson's Ideas and built by the David Brown company Ltd of Huddersfield in England.

History
Quote:
Harry Ferguson built a prototype tractor in Belfast called the Black Ferguson. It served as the model for the Ferguson-Brown Model A. In about 1934, in partnership with engineer David Brown, Harry Ferguson formed the Ferguson-Brown Company and they produced the Ferguson-Brown Model A tractor. This was a light weight tractor with a Ferguson-designed hydraulic system. Ferguson surmised that the tractor hitch was the key to having a better plough and a simpler tractor attachment for it. This was the first tractor to have an OEM three point hitch system. He had spent 30 years developing his ideas.[1]
The early models had Coventry Climax engines, with the latter ones having David Browns own engine fitted. The tractor was built with an alloy gear box and Bell housing body to keep weight down, as one of Fergusons ideas was that the tractor should be light. Some were build with stronger Alloy casings after beakages, but Ferguson would not swap to a cheaper (& stronger) steel casting to cure the problem.

The Ferguson-Brown was expensive against the rival machines such as the Fordsons, as special implements were required to operate with it, rather than the old horse drawn ones that could be used with the other makes. Brown decided to re design the tractor to reduce costs, but did not consult with Ferguson who had gone to America, this caused a rift between them. One design change that David Brown made was to add a combined PTO - Belt sheave. This was opposed by Ferguson. It is not known how many of the Model As had this feature.
Ferguson Ford Partnership

Quote:
Henry Ford had started building tractors in 1917 but these early machines did not have the hydraulic mounting for implements that were later to be a feature of the Ferguson TE20 series tractors, they just pulled with the draw bar which could if the plough struck an obstruction result in the tractor rearing up and over turning, in some cases killing the driver. Harry Ferguson started developing his three point hitch system to solve this problem and tried unsuccessfully to interest Henry Ford in partnering with him.
In 1938 Harry Ferguson went to see Henry Ford and demonstrate his new system to him. A plowing (us) competition was staged in Dearborn in America between a Ferguson-Brown Model A with 3 point hitch plough (UK) that Ferguson had shipped to America and a Fordson Model F pulling a trailing plow (US). The Ferguson-Brown outplowed the Fordson Model F. This Model A is the one now displayed in The Henry Ford Museum.

Following this demonstration Harry Ferguson made a handshake agreement with Henry Ford to produce "Ferguson System" Ford tractors incorporating his idea. Henry Ford then started building Ford tractors using the Ferguson linkage and jointly developed the Ford Model 9N, also known as the Ford-Ferguson tractor. Harry Ferguson set up a plant in western Detroit to supply the hydraulic systems for these tractors.

The Ford-Ferguson 9N and the David Brown VAK1 are both based on the Ferguson-Brown Model A. Both models have a rear mounted Power Take Off (PTO). The Ferguson-Brown Model A on display at The Henry Ford Museum does not.
The End Of Ferguson Brown

Quote:
This resulted in Ferguson terminating his agreement with David Brown, on his return to England on the grounds that Brown had broken the agreement, by design changes introduced whilst he was in America. So in 1939 David Brown introduced the VAK1 tractor. This tractor had been in development in secret at the factory incorporating David Browns updated ideas and changes based on feedback from customers/users of the first tractors.
HTML Code:
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Ferguson-Brown
Model Range and Preserved examples

Ferguson-Brown Model A was the only model built, with slight variations. Such as engine and the HD Casting.
A total of 1350 + 1 were Built between 1934 and 1940.[2]

Full Resolution:
HTML Code:
http://images.wikia.com/tractors/images/b/b6/Ferguson_Brown_at_Belvoir_Castle_08_-_P5180421.jpg
Check the "talons".

What Garden Tractor do you have?-ferguson_brown_at_belvoir_castle_08_50.jpg 

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
This one is for sale, and I bet it's a steal
What Garden Tractor do you have?-dsc01752.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-dsc01753.jpg 

What Garden Tractor do you have?-dsc01754.jpg 

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
That tractor is almost mint.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.