Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
What kills Stickers?

Bur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burs? I grew up calling them goat heads.

Anyone know how to get rid of them?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I heard that huge fire in Texas was doing a fine job.

sticky burrs - Texas Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but I have lots of problems with bur clover. I have used an organic pre-emergence weed control in the fall, and it really helps.
Quote:
: Sticker burrs (also called grass burrs!) are a result of a thin stand or sparseness of the grass-of-choice for your yard. Burrs cannot compete with a properly maintained bermuda turf or St. Augustine grass. When you mow the bermuda closely every 5 to 7 days or the St. Augustine as high as the mower blade can be set every 7 to 10 days, burr plants will not survive.

It is only when adverse weather (dry) and poor culture (do not fertilizer bermuda monthly or St. Augustine twice yearly) diminish the desired grass growth do burrs get started. Of course, in new lawns burrs compete with the chosen turf until it is crowded out.

Sticker burr eradication requires several methods of attack. BEFORE sticker burrs germinate and to keep them from germinating, use a pre-emergence herbicide such as Balan, Betasan or Portrait beginning in February, again in May and again in July.

If grass burr plants emerge, mow the grass-of-choice at the appropriate height on a weekly basis before burr plants can produce and mature seed burrs.

If small burrs are detected at mowing time, use a grass catcher to eliminate possible mature burrs.

MSMA or DSMA herbicide can be used on bermuda grass turf ONLY to kill grass burr plants.
Quote:
The burrs do not like the fertilizer. For me, it was the quickest way to rid myself of them.
Quote:
Pre-emergent herbicides should be applied in February in your area (that's Spring around here). Your grass won't be taking up nutrients until April (a good reason for not wasting money on "weed and feed" type products).

I would stay away from chemicals if I had kids and dogs running around. Using corn meal gluten as a pre-emergent in February will nip the burrs in the bud.

Fertile soil will eventually crowd out the burrs so a 1/4" layer of compost laid over the lawn this fall and again in say March will fertilize, build your soil and eliminate the burrs. Any lawn will benefit from this treatment. Once you have a rich looking lawn go to a once a year application of the compost.
Quote:
I completely agree. Bag when you cut the grass, and then corn gluten meal in february. I usually mix in a bag of molasses along with it just so I don't forget to do it later. We have burrs starting in a little side strip of yard that I have clearly ignored for too many years, and this is exactly what I plan to do about it. We only have a small patch, but they spread so quickly! I'm going to dig the area out and put a chunk of sod over it in the meantime.
Quote:
I've seen corn meal gluten at Lowes. It was in those square 5 gallon plastic pails.
The gluten is used as an herbicide and fertilizer, corn meal (no gluten)can be used as a fungicide.
www.dirtdoctor.com • Index page
What kills Stickers?-wxast-fr30913.jpg 

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Thanks for the info!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads