Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
What's the best steam clean/carpet cleaner for under $200?

I moved into a house in August that has a lot of carpet. My old house had none and now I'm finding that I need to clean the carpet often. What is a good quality steam or carpet cleaner to get?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I have had 3 over the last 20 years, spent up to $300 and they all fall apart in a year or so, are terribly hard to clean after use, and take up space to store. Now we use a Bissell "Little Green Machine" for spotting and it's also handy for the car. We will rent for a full carpet job, they do so much better and you can use one 6-8 times for the same money as buying one.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:07 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I have rented them before so maybe I'll just stick to that. I already have enough crap taking up storage so I don't need to lose anymore valuable space.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM  

Worcester, Massachusetts
I rent one from the local grocery store for about $50. Best way to go as you dont have to store another piece of equipment.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM  

Sacramento, California
Hoover SteamVac

We really like this for about $150 online a couple years ago.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM  

Charlotte, NC
We have a Bissel that works pretty well. I have no real complaints about it. You'll be amazed by the look of the water after running it!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
We use a moist powder like substance that came with our two Dyson Vacs works great. It's called Dyson Zorb. You sprinkle it on the carpet use the attachment to rub it into the carpet let it sit for an hour or two then just vacuum it up and be done with it. For heavy duty cleaning we go with Chemdry.

Dyson Zorb Carpet Maintenance Powder : Target

Found that too much wet carpet cleaning will cause wood under flooring to start molding. Mold in house is not good.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 PM  

Sammamish, WA
You can rent the "Host" system too, at janitorial supplies and some better vacuum stores. They use a method where you spread chemical impregnated shredded corn husks, their machine then "grinds it" against the fibers, you let it sit then vacuum it all up. Sort of a dry cleaning method, popular in commercial buildings. You do still have to spot clean heavy traffic areas and stains ahead of time.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 PM  

I've been cleaning carpets professionally for 15 years now and I can tell you that a home unit is not going to come close to a commercial machine. That doesn't mean that you can't get something decent that will handle average dirt and stains. I would recommend you look for a machine with a powerful motor that is at least 12 amp. The water capacity is important if your doing a large room, you don't want to keep filling it up so get one that is at least a gallon.

Some things that you can live without are floor heat to help dry the area faster, detergent burst which sends more soap to a certain area and a built in water heater. Just put warm water in it. Antimicrobial protection is another thing that you really don't need. Frugal5 has a good list of machines under $200 with all these features at http://www.frugal5.com/Best-Carpet-C...-For-The-Money . Getting these extra features will put you over $200 for a good one.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM  
Traveler

Eco Friendly Cleaning Sevices!!

Eco Clean Bellevue! providing the cleaning services including Hardwood Floor cleaning, Upholstery cleaning, Roof cleaning, Window washing, Pet Odor eliminator, Carpet cleaning, Pressure washing, Air Duct cleaning, Rug cleaning and many more Cleaning services.
So we can get our require services from Eco Clean at very cheap rate and they accept all types of payment methods.
Their Services are available 7days a week from 7am to 7pm. So from here we can get our home improvement solutions.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!