Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Who knows about home windows?

I need to replace a window in my house that leaks when it rains. We had an estimate and everything was going well. We decided on a style and type of opening. The window that we currantly have only opens from one side and swings out. So the screen is on the inside of the house and a crank handle is used to open the window. We want to go with the style that opens from the top down because we have a small child in the room with the window. The window is just over 55" wide and we were told that the company doing the job doesn't have windows that wide that open like we want.
So the question is, is there a window company that makes a window 55" wide that slides open from top to bottom and bottom to top?
Does any of this make any sense to anyone? I'm sorry it's so poorly written. My wife is going off the deep end over it and taking my sentence structure with it. I'm happy with a window that slides open from side to side.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM  

You might want to check the Pella web site as they are one of the biggest around.

Pella Windows - Replacement Windows and Doors - 2010 Energy Tax Credit | Pella.com

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Big double hung windows are very nice but too rich for my blood.
You could always do some framing and install two standard size double hung windows.
I'd go with a good quality slider myself.
Anything with a crank is a joke imo.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Sounds like that company only sells standard windows. You can order any size you want custom made, even from places like Home depot. I have always done my own installation, but they may offer that too. If not, you should be able to find a better window guy that can get what you want. For that width, I think I would go for the horizontal slider, though.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM  

I also thought he was referring to a double hung window, but after reading his description a few times, I believe he is referring to a top swing out window.

Capt. Crunch, can you confirm what you are looking for? Being close to LA and doing lots of home improvement, I may be able to help you find what you are looking for.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Yea, sorry about the confusion, my wife wants the double hung for safety reasons and I want the slider because it would match the house better and apparently Home Depot's window provider doesn't have double hung over 54" wide. We could frame it in but I'd rather not if we could avoid it.
I can't do it myself for a few reasons and Home Depot was having a discount sale so that's why we're going with them....for now. I'm going to try to sale my wife on the slider.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'd look at a double slider.
Much cheaper and sliders are fine with kids.
By the time they're strong enough to open one they're usually smart enough not to fall out
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I'd look at a double slider.
Much cheaper and sliders are fine with kids.
By the time they're strong enough to open one they're usually smart enough not to fall out
Correct me if I am wrong, on a slider, can you put (or clamp) a stick or rod in the track to limit the width that it will slide/open ??
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNTx View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, on a slider, can you put (or clamp) a stick or rod in the track to limit the width that it will slide/open ??
Yup, that's a distinct possibility
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Yup, that's a distinct possibility
I remember doing that with a patio door for security when away..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!