Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Wind Turbine for Electricity

Has anyone here built/bought a DIY wind turbine to feed into their grid?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I wish I could but can't do it because of the HOA. When we move I plan on having at least 1 wind generators.

Would also love to have a geothermal heatpump as they are much better than air exchange heatpumps.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 AM  

New York
Ive thought of it before, and my Wife is realy into it. I havent researched it much yet as for how much, and how to hook it up.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM  

There was a recent story of a local family in Rolling Hills Estates, who erected a wind generator that was so efficient, it took him completely off the grid. Unfortunately, his neighbors all complained about the looks in their mega-million dollar housing community, and forced him to take it down. I believe the case is now before the courts to make the final decision.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 PM  

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
There was a recent story of a local family in Rolling Hills Estates, who erected a wind generator that was so efficient, it took him completely off the grid. Unfortunately, his neighbors all complained about the looks in their mega-million dollar housing community, and forced him to take it down. I believe the case is now before the courts to make the final decision.
Ahhh.... I knew there was a reason I lived in the country...
Old 01-23-2011, 03:42 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1120 View Post
Ahhh.... I knew there was a reason I lived in the country...
I can give you a million other reasons why I would also want to live in the country!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I can give you a million other reasons why I would also want to live in the country!
From what I have read, California countryside is $$$$$.

Wind generators down here are $$$$$$$ for the average homeowner about $14,000 for one!! It would take many years to re-coop your investment!!

There are many wind farms in West Texas, that are supplying electric to many cities.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 AM  

New York
Ya, cost is REAL high!!!! It would be nice to at least get enough out of a cheapper one to run some simple stuff... like lights, and power in a shed, or outdoor lights around the pool and stuff... Hmmm... Might just have to start collecting some scrap parts.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM  

Considering my winter electric bill is $200 a month, and in the summer, the bill will reach $500, that cost for the wind generator will be paid off quickly.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM  

Gloucester, MA
Talk to me about the voltages… wind turbines are alternators, correct and if so then you need to rectify the AC to DC so it can be stored or do you even store the excess ?
Also, if you store it then there are batteries to consider… anyone give me a run down on this and as was asked is there a DIY Kit ?

Thks

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads