Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM  

Wobbly Toilet

How simple is it to switch out the wax gasket on a toilet? My friend wants me to come help him, I will, I just want to see how if I should program a plumbers number in my cell before I go over there.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM  

Sammamish, WA
It's easy enough, as long as the water supply line will connect up tight and not leak after.

The hardest part is getting all the water out so when you lift it you don't make a mess.

I'm sure there's a step-by-step on the DIY Network website.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM  

Done it dozens of times. Do yourself a favor and purchase two new hold down bolts and nuts. Most old ones are rotten. Also, spend a few extra bucks and get the wax gasket with the rubber flange built into it. Once the water supply line is shut off, flush the toilet. Then, get a two gallon bucket, and pour it directly into the bowl. This should do a good job of siphoning out any residual water in the bowl.

Remove your supply like from the tank, not from the valve on the wall. Take off the two nuts on the hold down bolts, and pull the tank. Reinstall the wax gasket, and two new bolts, and install the toilet back on the flange. Sit on the toilet to get a good, solid seal, using a slight rocking motion. Tighten the new bolts, but not too tight, because they can break the porcelain if tightened too much. Cut off the excess length off the bolts, cap them, reinstall the water line, and you're done!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I've replaced a few wobbly toilets myself and have found that when a toilet wobbles, there's problems with the floor.

If you remove the toilet and find rot on the floor, you gotta be prepared to replace it.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Make sure there are no Baby Ruth bars in the toilet first.

Get the rubber gasket one. Don't fret new bolts come with everyone.

get the only one out and put the new one in. Lower toilet back down and snug the bolts. Your done in about 20 minutes max.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Make sure there are no Baby Ruth bars in the toilet first.
This is a vital part of the equation!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 AM  

when you lift it be sure not to tip it lift it straight up and carry it level, put it in bath tub or something
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamisu View Post
How simple is it to switch out the wax gasket on a toilet? My friend wants me to come help him, I will, I just want to see how if I should program a plumbers number in my cell before I go over there.
Hope it came out better that what these people did !!!!
Wobbly Toilet-03.jpg 

Wobbly Toilet-09.jpg 

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM  

If it wobbles it is either not tightened down or the flange has broken. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOU WILL CRACK THE PORCELAIN!! You can easily get a flange replacement ring that's the best fix.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by boundforbeer View Post
If it wobbles it is either not tightened done or the flange has broken. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOU WILL CRACK THE PORCELAIN!! You can easily get a flange replacement ring that's the best fix.
I recently fixed my daughters wobbly toilet..It was the wax ring, and yes be careful when tightening it down..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads