Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM  

Longview, Texas
Anybody been surf fishing around Galveston lately?

How is it? I usually go further south, but thought I might give it a try in the next few weeks. Where's a good place to go?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM  

Houston, Texas
Hey, I would like to hear from other surf fishers in the galveston area also. I was in Galveston about two weeks ago, not fishing, my first visit since IKE. Went over to Bolivar and checked out ROLL OVER PASS it looked better than I imagined, there were quite a few people fishing.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 PM  

heading to San Luis pass this weekend for some Drum, I'll let you know.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM  

Enjoy roll over pass while it still there because of pressure from the environmentalists the Army Core of Engineers is going to start filling it in soon.

But on the flip side surf fishing on the bolivar side is excellent especially at night time. We had our best luck with minnows and some fake bait that has the scent stuff on it. The intersting thing with Bolivar night fishing is you truly have no clue what you will snag. One minute we had a small trout, then a red fish, then a sting ray and to top it off a small but feisty shark.

But just a warning if you do go out the Bolivar at night make sure you go with a decent sized group because Bolivar is still pretty much a no-mans land since IKE and you want to be safe.

San Luis pass also has good surf fishing but the tides change so quickly you have to be very careful and use a fishing with a BIG chunk of lead or else you will be fighting the current constantly.

With Bolivar you can make a weekend out of camping out there and surf fishing without worrying about the tides carrying your Jeep away.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM  

Houston, Texas
san lui pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012 View Post
heading to San Luis pass this weekend for some Drum, I'll let you know.
would like to hear how it was at san lui pass. is this an area that would be good for overnight fishing/camping, or kayak fishing?
thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM  

Houston, Texas
surf fishing Bolivar/Roll Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Enjoy roll over pass while it still there because of pressure from the environmentalists the Army Core of Engineers is going to start filling it in soon.

But on the flip side surf fishing on the bolivar side is excellent especially at night time. We had our best luck with minnows and some fake bait that has the scent stuff on it. The intersting thing with Bolivar night fishing is you truly have no clue what you will snag. One minute we had a small trout, then a red fish, then a sting ray and to top it off a small but feisty shark.

But just a warning if you do go out the Bolivar at night make sure you go with a decent sized group because Bolivar is still pretty much a no-mans land since IKE and you want to be safe.

San Luis pass also has good surf fishing but the tides change so quickly you have to be very careful and use a fishing with a BIG chunk of lead or else you will be fighting the current constantly.

With Bolivar you can make a weekend out of camping out there and surf fishing without worrying about the tides carrying your Jeep away.
thanks for the info. do you know anything about the surf from HighIsland toward Sabine Pass? Is it accessable for surf fishing (hwy 87 before IKE), camping, by JEEP?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM  

All of the beach from the ferry landing down 87 the barricades at the 124 junction is "accessible". Some area are a bit rough crawl through but any Jeep or good 4wd vehicle can make it out there.

The main issue is as soon as you get off the paved road there is allot of unfriendly tire debris left over from the hurricane so make sure to carry a tire kit and a can or two of fix a flat. Its not horrible if you really look where your going but ever once a while you will find something just under the sand waiting to poke a hole in a tire.

As far as camping you can still camp pretty much anywhere ya want on the beach all the way from the ferry to the barricades. But like I said in my earlier post don't go out unless your in decent sized party because its still a no-mans land and gets REALLY dark at night.

I wouldn't try to Kayak fish around San luis pass due to the currents. Two or three times a year they have a story in the paper of someone that tried it and either ended up someplace way away from where he started or worse drown.

Camping is much safer as dealing with out people at the San Luis pass and if you need help there are several police and vol fire depts just right down the road. The only thing ya have to really watch out for is the tide because it comes in allot farther than you would suspect.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
All of the beach from the ferry landing down 87 the barricades at the 124 junction is "accessible". Some area are a bit rough crawl through but any Jeep or good 4wd vehicle can make it out there.

The main issue is as soon as you get off the paved road there is allot of unfriendly tire debris left over from the hurricane so make sure to carry a tire kit and a can or two of fix a flat. Its not horrible if you really look where your going but ever once a while you will find something just under the sand waiting to poke a hole in a tire.

As far as camping you can still camp pretty much anywhere ya want on the beach all the way from the ferry to the barricades. But like I said in my earlier post don't go out unless your in decent sized party because its still a no-mans land and gets REALLY dark at night.

I wouldn't try to Kayak fish around San luis pass due to the currents. Two or three times a year they have a story in the paper of someone that tried it and either ended up someplace way away from where he started or worse drown.

Camping is much safer as dealing with out people at the San Luis pass and if you need help there are several police and vol fire depts just right down the road. The only thing ya have to really watch out for is the tide because it comes in allot farther than you would suspect.
thanks thats really good info. i think i'm gonna do a little exploring in both areas.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads