Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM  

houston, tx
+1 to petrol as well since thats a true neighborhood bar with character. also try Rudyardz since they do carry rarities from time to time and have a great plate of black bean nachos

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 AM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
BJ's (willowbrook) - Most of the BJ's are a BoP, but this BJ's has contracted St. Arnolds to brew their beer for them, so quality is not an issue. Pizza is great and many monitors for sports fans.
i believe st. arnolds brews the beer for every bj's in texas, due to texas laws. i know they at least do it for all houston locations.

quality wouldn't be an issue either way. the bj's in other states all have great beer (although most of them are the same at all bj's)

Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM  

Houston, Texas
Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita

Up NE we have Nortons. Good selection but wait staff has zero beer knowledge.

There's Brickhouse which I've heard is nice. Drove by and there's a nice firepit on the patio. Supposed to have a decent selection.

Then there's a little hard to find place called McClellans. Selection's not huge, but it's quality, and the food is pretty good.

But in my opinion, the best place to drink beer in Houston is my house! Shop at Spec's warehouse, plus throw in some home brew and why would I want to go anywhere else. Prices can't be beat and I don't need a DD. No dress code, no snotty waitresses, and no surly bouncers. (except when my wife cuts me off!)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:28 AM  

Houston, Texas
I agree. My wife and I used to frequent the Onion Creek for Sunday Brunch and a pint or two, but the sandwich quality took a dive. They went from Katz's Deli quality pastrami sandwiches to two slabs of bread and a 1/4 inch thick slice of pastami. The illegal working the kitchen (don't fool yourself, they ALL are) needs some close oversight. I know, if you give them a recipe the do it well for a while, but then it starts to evolve into an amalgamation of shortcuts and paths of least resistance until the finished product bears no resemblance to the original recipe. It happened with the Ruben I served at the bar I formerly helped run.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 AM  

Houston, Texas
Went by Rudyards and was a little disappointed. Virtually no crowd, and no beer list. Nice neighborhood place and the food was good. But unless you are a regular you have no way of knowing what beers they have.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 AM  

Houston, Texas
Damn! I missed the American Homebrewer's Association annual Xmas party, after party at Petrol this past Sunday. I like the place, its homebrewer friendly and they know their beers.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 AM  

Houston, Texas
Sounds like my house. I home brew too, and currently have 8 kegs on tap and three more batchs in the fermenters. I need people who like to drink beer. Unfortunately, the subdivision live in is inhabited by tea tottlers. I do make beer for parties at work.

FYI the new start up brewery in Katy, The No Label Brewery, will be giving away free beer and eats at their brewery off Main street in the second grain silo going west this Saturday the Dec 11th from 1 till 3. The get together is kid friendly. Bring chairs a thirst and an appetite.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 AM  

Houston, Texas
I used to live in West Chase west of Wilcrest. The Fox and Hound has a decent selection of beers on tap, not great, but at least about 10 imports and craft brews. The scenery can be nice and the food isn't bad for a chain type place. They have a cigar room and lots of pool as well as a large outside seating area.

Down the road near Kirkwood is a small english pub called the Bull and Bear. It is behind Specs. They can offer up a pint of your usual english ales and a dram of single malt. Their traditional pub grub is pretty good. Sheperds Pie, Bangers and Mash are decent.

Farther west, in Cinco is the Bakerstreet Pub. Its a chain restaurant. Went one weekend. Had to watch some morbidly obese woman feeding her two dogs in her lap(s). Nuff said.

Over on N. HWY6 at I10 is Sherlocks, a brother to Bakerstreet, owned by the same corporation. All it has going for it is a nice treed outdoor seating area and again the normal selection of imports. Burgers are decent.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM  

Houston, Texas
they just opened the BREW PUB on I-10 and Fry. 110 beers available and the food is pretty good as well
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM  
Professional

Texas
I brew at home as well.
Wouldn't mind meeting some other fellow homebrewers and having a tasting or something.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!