Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM  

Houston, Texas
Just driving through the back roads near the Brenham, Andersen, and some of the small towns near there or a little north is a nice thing to do, It is amazing how different the landscape is just a short drive out of Houston. My Wife and I like to those areas and have found a couple nice diners to grab some lunch or dinner at, we try to get ourselves into new areas as opposed to doing the same old thing and hopefully we find a nice place to grab some food, and there are always places to stop and take some pictures.

If you are interested in taking pictures there is this group Houton PhotoWalks and they go all over the area and even out of the area, I think they just did a three day trip to Navasota. but usually they go someplace close by....Maybe a day at the Zoo but they get in an hour or two before it opens so they can get pictures of the staff doing their thing as well as getting to take photos without the worry of big crowds ruining your shot, they also go to special events in the park, maybe a city walk, and have even had a photo day at a auto body restoration and collision repair shop.....they got some behind the scenes photos of where customers were not allowed and got to walk around and shoot while the body shop guys were doing their work (lots of cool pictures of welding, grinding, and under car shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
If you have kids, a season pass for the Children's Museum is a bargain. My wife bought the tickets, so I don't know how much it was exactly, but we take the kids (and some friends, which I think come for free on our passes) and just let them go wild. Unlike the others in the museum district, the Children's Museum is never really that crowded, there's always a place to park, and the kids can touch and play with everything.

-Mark
four kids and NOT counting... snip snip
The Children's Museum is really cool, My Wife and I take our niece and nephew there and they even have a play area for the really young ones.........and you will find yourself playing with a bunch of stuff as well. We have been all over the country and the Houston Children's Museum is one of (if not thee) best Childrens Museum's we have seen.

Don't forget the aquarium, maybe no the cheapest but it is a nice place to stop by when it gets hot....It's so dark and cool in there, In the summer you walk out and want to go right back in. They also have a Ferris Wheel and some other Carnival type rides outside if.

Personally, I would stay away from the beaches unless you go a bit further south. We lived in South West Florida with the bay on one side and the gulf on the other side of our house and there is no comparison.
The beaches here are kind of nasty looking, the water is always brown and chunky looking (Our neighbor calls it the Gulf of YooHoo, and that is what it looks like), the sand (at least when I have been there) is always compacted and kinda nasty looking, you get to see the oil tankers and other ships out in the water, and when you are driving there and on some beaches just look to the east and you can see the oil refineries (and maybe the chemical plants.
the only beaches I can think of going to are a few hours south of here, and really I think the nicest is about a 4 hour drive (I might be wrong on that)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 AM  

Houston, TX
Hack Winery in Alvin is a fun day trip. It can be cheap or expensive depending on how you like to spend lol. You can just do the tour and sight see or you can sit there on their big porch and drink wine and buy souvenirs. It's a fun time. I'm not sure about this time of year though, last time I went was spring and was very nice.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
If you have kids, a season pass for the Children's Museum is a bargain. My wife bought the tickets, so I don't know how much it was exactly, but we take the kids (and some friends, which I think come for free on our passes) and just let them go wild. Unlike the others in the museum district, the Children's Museum is never really that crowded, there's always a place to park, and the kids can touch and play with everything.

-Mark
four kids and NOT counting... snip snip
FYI, the Childrens Museum is free on Thursday nights. It does get a bit crowded but if you are looking to save a bit then it is a nice option.

The Museum of Natural Science is great for kids as well, although not free. There are rotating exhibits a couple of times a year (right now it is pirates), good collection of dinosaurs, and a surprisingly good butterfly center. During the summer they have science camps during the day if your kids are driving you nuts.

The Menil collection is a great free art gallery.

The Menil Collection

Running/Walking the loop at Memorial Park is good way to pass the time as well. Great scenery. Off road bike trails at Memorial are a ton of fun as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM  

Houston, Texas
Houston is well-known for it's museums, which are ALL free on Thursday nights (they stay open an addtional 2 hours, too). The zoo is free on holidays, I belive - but good luck finding parking.

Miller Outdoor Theater has plays/shows several times a year - it's fun to bring a picnic and relax on the lawn.

There are lots of parks around town - Discovery Green is new (and they have all sorts of events going on year round too), Memorial Park biking and walking trails, Hermann Park, etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM  

The Flying Saucer and St. Arnold's are always great choices. Also, there are a lot of trails for hiking and biking. You can always check chron.com for activities and HoustonPress.com.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM  

Brookshire/Katy, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Try the St. Arnolds Brewery tour on Saturdays.

and the other poster is right, the old brewery was cooler, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

FWIW Shiner is probably just a little over an hour and half from the west side. you can always go hit up the old brewery down in shiner.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!