Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM  

Houston, TX
Gardening in Missouri City

Greetings,

I am excited to say I am in year 2 of gardening in Mo. City. I recently bought 4 fruit trees from Urban Harvest and excited to plant them in March.

The trees I bought are:
Avocado (yum yum)
Lemon
Lime
Orange

My current veggie garden is 90 sq. ft. I think I need to add some topsoil to the rest of the yard, especially the front yard. it looks sad..

Anybody else in this area starting a garden for the spring?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Do you have any pics?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM  

League City-Clear Lake, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudreaux70 View Post
Greetings,

I am excited to say I am in year 2 of gardening in Mo. City. I recently bought 4 fruit trees from Urban Harvest and excited to plant them in March.

The trees I bought are:
Avocado (yum yum)
Lemon
Lime
Orange

My current veggie garden is 90 sq. ft. I think I need to add some topsoil to the rest of the yard, especially the front yard. it looks sad..

Anybody else in this area starting a garden for the spring?

I do raised bed gardens for veggies; much easier maintenance. You have to choose citrus wisely in our area. I've got satsuma oranges and improved Meyer lemons. This year I'm looking at putting in figs and plums.

The Meyer lemons are awesome!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I do raised bed gardens for veggies; much easier maintenance. You have to choose citrus wisely in our area. I've got satsuma oranges and improved Meyer lemons. This year I'm looking at putting in figs and plums.

The Meyer lemons are awesome!
I bought a Meyer lemon tree, but I can't remember what the others are- I will look and let you know. I need to convert my garden to a raised bed. I grew up with my PawPaw in Louisiana who showed me the mounded row format.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
We have to do raised beds here in San Marcos as we are West of the fault and thus have about 2" of top soil.

We do well though. Last Summer we did tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions and some greens. This Winter we did root vegetables. Our basil was amazing last year, it grew to be tree size.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 PM  

League City-Clear Lake, Texas
Our soil here south of Houston is generally lousy, but somehow my lot ended up with good topsoil. Just lucky. I still amend it with plenty of organic stuff.

I agree on the basil. I love the stuff but won't pay what they want in the store. Love that pesto!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!