Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM  

Houston, Texas
Good job for young mother?

My daughter is living at our home with her baby and needs a job. She has a GED and we're trying to convince her to get an education of some sort instead of working the cash register at the local grocery store, but I don't think she has the will or stamina to go through four years of college - MAYBE two, but probably not four. She's great with kids and relating to people, excellent with computers in a non-techie but catches-on-quick way, speaks Spanish fluently; does anyone have a suggestion for a best-bang-for-the-buck job opportunity? Some sort of training or short degree/certification that'll get her a job above the poverty line (and out of the house)?

Thanks
-Mark

Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
If I had it to do over again I would have gotten a job with the sate. If she gets on now, DPS, Parks Dept, etc. then she might be looking at an earlier than most retirement.

I know the state pays more (as do most) for knowing Spanish.

If I'm not mistaken Houston Community College also offers courses on working as a Translator, as the Spanish speaking population rises it would be a good move.

My Cousin is an ASL Translator, currently out of work by her choice (kids) but when she does work she makes good money.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Not sure if it applies there, but here being an importer of specialty items is a good job, and they are in demand as few exist.
Also if she can pass an extreme security check, staying at home and typing out legal documents is a good job, I have 2 friends that do it, and it pays well, and they work from home when they want to work.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I think you need some professional advice to lay out a plan that meshes her bilingual abilities, child rearing needs and the steps she may require to land a job that meets her needs.

You might want to check on Federal jobs too since the government is increasing border security. If being bilingual is as important in Texas as here in Oregon (I suspect far more important there) the jobs exist but may require more than a GED.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM  

Houston, Texas
Thanks for the advice! I've forwarded to her & we'll see where it takes us...
-Mark

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.