Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 AM  

Houston, TX
Good Vets In and Around Houston

I am a dog lover (have 3) and have had some amazing vets in the many places I lived, but I noticed when I moved back to Houston 4 years ago it was very tough to find a vet that was both good and not rediculously proud of their work (expensive).
I found a vet over here on the NW side (Katy/Cypress) about two years ago through a referal from our boarding facility we use.
Unfortunately it took me two years of hopping from vet to vet around town and alot of wasted money to finally find the one that cared about my animals, not my money.
I just wanted to open up this thread to give others in Houston a place to go to post reviews and also find reviews and real life stories so that they don't have to go through the selection process I did over the two year period.

I will post more on my current vet a little later (or PM for details), but I didn't want to start this thread as any type of advertisement for him, but rather an open forum for everyone to discuss vet care in Houston.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM  

Houston
Grogans Mill Pet Clinic is the the woodlands area. If you google them, they are apart of a 3 or 4 vet group. They might have one closer to your area. I've taken my dog there since he was 6 weeks old. They do great work.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM  

Hmmm. I was using SNAP in the heights, but I want to get my cat spayed and don't want to take him there. Hopefully we'll get a lot of replies here, thanks for beginning this thread! Very important to have a good vet, and it's always nice to save moneys!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM  

Houston, TX
Vet used for 12 years now

I've been in NW Houston (Tomball address, near the HP <Compaq> campus) for 16 years this weekend. For 12 of those years I have taken my golden retriever/lab mix to the FM 149 Animal Clinic. (281) 370-5891. Our dog is pretty old and white-faced now, but they have really taken care of her. The don't rush through visits and are quite personable.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM  

Houston, Texas
Crossroads Animal Clinic on 529, east of Queenston. We have been very pleased with they way they've treated our two beagles. They are somewhat pricey, but you can't beat the quality.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM  

Houston, Texas
Vicky Lawrence is the best vet I've found in the NW Houston area. She is located at Jones Rd. and West Rd.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 AM  

Houston, TX
In Baytown it has to be Matthew Dobbs @ Cedar Bayou Animal Clinic. Sadly we had to have our cocker put down last week. Him and his staff were great and very heart felt. They made a paw print cast and mailed it to us with a card.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:32 AM  

Houston, Texas
We have been taking our cats and dogs to

Fondren Animal Hospital
3325 Fondren Road
Houston, TX 77063-5622
(713) 781-3424
www.fondrenanimalhospital.com

I copied and pasted this from their "About Us" section

"Fondren Animal Hospital is family owned and operated. Dr. Leo Ford and his wife, Nikki have run the clinic for 20 years. Dr. Ford graduated from Purdue University in 1977 and began practicing in Houston that same year.

He left Houston in 1981 and practiced in rural Indiana, rural Colorado, and San Antonio, Texas before returning to Houston in 1986. Dr. Ford and Nikki enjoy personally knowing the clients and their pets. Clients know they will always see the same doctor and he will be interested in solving their pet’s problems."

It feels more like a small town doctors or vets office and you can tell they genuinely care about your animal. We take all of our cats and dogs there. We also have a very shy yet snippy female and Dr.Ford is excellent with handling her and calming her down. We also have an aggressive male that has been declared by multiple vets in 3 different states that he is the most aggressive cat they have ever seen and will not see him unless he is sedated.....That is we had to sedate him before we brought him in just so they could attempt to "really" sedate him, so they could handle him.
Dr.Ford has admitted that he is about the most aggressive he has seen yet he handles him great.

If you go tell him Maceo (pronounced May-See-Oh) sent you. He's the fluffy white Turkish Angora.....AKA, the devil cat.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 PM  
mmmm....Pie

Houston, Texas
I just moved here not to long ago and have been very impressed with the Barker-Cypress Animal Clinic just south of 290 on Barker-Cypress...

I took my 4yo weimaraner there and was really impressed at how well they handled a pretty excitable and hyper dog!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 PM  

Houston, TX
The vet that I use and will always use as long as I am in Houston is Dr. Smith at Clay Road Animal Clinic (between Barker Cypress and Hwy 6). He was recommended to me by a boarding facility with whom I was speaking about the rediculously over priced vets that are constantly trying to upsell around Houston. Dr. Smith is a Texas A&M vet and comes across as a "good ole' boy" type of personality. If you are looking around for a vet and don't think Clay Rd. and Hwy 6 is too far, I think you should definately check him out. The facility is small and is no high end dog salon, but you will get top notch care from someone who loves animals, not the money that can be made by upselling tests and treatments for them. Google Clay Road Animal Clinic and you will see that my review is not some phenomenon, but instead is consistent with the many reviews available on the net regarding his practice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads