Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM  

Rehab in Houston

I saw a lot of threads for drinking but didn't see any posted for recovery. I am in a rehab facility called the Right Step. It is changing my life and I wanted to invite people to know that rehab is for winners.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
16 years, 5 months & 25 days & counting.

a few tips that worked for me.

Never have a conversation with yourself about drugs or alcohol. You will almost always lose the argument because the addiction affects your thinking.

That's where turning it over works. When a thought crosses my mind I just tell God it's HIS WORK. By not playing into the addictions traps I've stayed dry beyond my wildest expectations. Seems silly but it works.

I met a man in rehab who is gone now but died sober after great success. He said only one alcoholic in 36 doesn't die from something alcohol related.
ONE in 36

You won't be that one if you screw with addiction. You will never be a social drinker or "just have one" at a wedding, funeral or birthday. You are also completely empowered to save yourself but the first year is critical. Find out what helps and do as much of that as often as possible.

You're already ahead of most people just by being in a rehab so keep it up and build on it each day.

It does get easier but that requires time. For now just turn it over as often as thoughts hit you. Some day a month or more will pass and you'll notice you haven't thought of a drink or drug in months.

There's a book called "Illusions" by Richard Bach. (I look for Goodwill paperbacks). The book will help with understanding both responsibility and simplicity. I think it's a good guide for a new life without chemical masters. Nothing religious, just common sense in an unusual form.

Get a good B Complex (GNC or online vitamin sales), Vitamin C 500 mg. and a good multi mineral. Your body's building blocks had it tough detoxing your butt so they need a lift.

Stick around, these people are good people and very caring.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Congrats on getting help!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:14 PM  

Houston, Texas
14 years, 8 months, 19 days.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
If you dont mind me asking, what was your drug of choice that ultimately led you to the path of sobriety?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Thanks for the PM bud.

I wish you the best of luck in your newly found sobriety, and hope that things ultimately change for the better in your life.

Stay strong!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.