Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM  

Houston, Texas
I doubt that park will ever actually open. If Astroworld can't stay in business, some eco-park full of eco-fun doesn't stand a chance.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreeq View Post
Yup, right before I moved here. The wife and I were rather upset by this.
Ditto on this. Right around the time we moved here. I was so excited because I knew it was here so my wife looked it up and told me the bad news. Bummed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanks View Post
I doubt that park will ever actually open. If Astroworld can't stay in business, some eco-park full of eco-fun doesn't stand a chance.
From what I understand Astroworld closing had more to do with Location, Location, Location. Although Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida is in a pretty ghetto area and it was doing well. Don't know anymore since I am not near there.

Really for a park to do well it seems that it needs to be centrally located or at least easy for most areas of the Greater Houston area to get to (this does not seem to have it). Also, An amusement or theme park really needs to have this heavy hitter being built. A good solid park with a bunch of coasters, the rides with the viewing screens and the room or cars are synced to the movements of what is going on.....think MGM "Back to the Future" and Tower of Terror which actually moves you and has screens at different locations, also Universals "Spiderman" ride where the car takes you through different locations with large sets and movie screen set up for interaction. Parks like the one they want to build are great secondary parks but as a primary money maker and in the location they are mentioning I am not sure it will do well.......Although I hope it does, and I hope it has some decent thrill rides.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 AM  

Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffer78 View Post
That sounds interesting. I wish they hadn't torn down Astroworld. That place was great. Maybe they'll do another theme park like that in the future.
Astroworld was nice to have as a tourism attraction, but I really didn't like walking around in the heat! Going around halloween was the best if we had a cool snap.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 AM  

I hope it does open. Its along ways from me, but will be nice to visit 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM  

I can't wait for this place to open up. We have taken the kids to Disney a few times, but it will be great to have something more local. And it will have a huge impact on tourism to Houston area in general.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 PM  

Houston needs something.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 PM  

One of the reasons Astroworld closed up is because the City of Houston (read Houston Independent school district) and Harris county were taxing them to death.

When they built Astroworld property along the loop wasn't the premium is it now. This is why allot of theme parks will build outside of the city or in a reallt crappy area because of the taxing authorities.

I think the park will do pretty good in New Caney as long as the taxing authorities don't get greedy and strangle the crash cow like they did with Astroworld.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM  

I really enjoyed Astroworld when they had it, but they need something else next to Minute Maid.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Houston
Bookmark this Page!

« Katy Mills | Howdy »