Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM  
Traveler

DW Davis....A piece of Idaho history found.

About 25 years ago, me and my life long friend were doing a remodel on an older homes kitchen. My friend removed some old casing from around a door and something fell out on the floor. He swiped it up off the floor and never even looked at it. It went straightaway into his pocket. After work, he pulled it out and showed me what he found. It was a business card of sorts, printed prior to the state of Idahos primary election in 1916! Yesterday, we were going through his photo album and I spotted it after all these years. I asked him if he minded me scanning it for show on this forum........ David William Davis (April 23, 1873 – August 5, 1959) was the 12th Governor of Idaho, serving from 1919 to 1923.

Davis was born in Cardiff, Wales. His family immigrated to the United States in 1875, and settled in Rippey, Iowa. At the age of twelve, Davis went to work in the coal mines to support his widowed mother.

He left the mines, finding work as a manager of the Farmer's Cooperative Association and as a bank cashier. He spent a brief stint in the United States Navy, attaining the rank of Petty Officer, First Class after distinguished service in the Philippines. After moving to American Falls, Idaho, Davis founded the First National Bank of American Falls.

He entered politics in 1912, serving as a delegate to the Republican National Convention. He also served as a member of the Idaho State Senate from 1913 to 1915.

Davis won the Republican nomination for governor in 1916, but was narrowly defeated by the Democratic incumbent, Moses Alexander. Davis was nominated again in 1918 and defeated Democrat H. F. Samuels. He was reelected in 1920 after a tough election battle, in part due to a clerical error on his military discharge papers that made it appear as if he had received a dishonorable discharge.

During his tenure, funding was sanctioned for the establishment of the bureau of budget and taxation; as well as, a veteran's welfare program and a teacher's pension system. A road-building program was initiated, the state's statutes were reorganized, the state's administrative agencies were unified, and three constitutional amendments were sanctioned.

Davis left office on January 1, 1923. Two months later, he was appointed as a special assistant to the Secretary of the Interior, to supervise the United States Reclamation Service, and served until 1924. He then served from 1924 to 1932 as commissioner of reclamation and director of finance for the Interior Department, and for a short time in 1931 as a special advisor to President Herbert Hoover.

Governor David W. Davis died on August 5, 1959, and was buried at the Cloverdale Cemetery in Boise, Idaho.
DW Davis....A piece of Idaho history found.-02-12-2011-04%3B05%3B39pm.jpg 

Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM  

Great story. I noticed the card said "over" and just wondering what is written on the back of it?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM  
Traveler

It's blank. I just thought it was so cool, that someone slipped it behind the casing back then, and it fell in behind, never to be seen again until all these years later.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads