Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 AM  

Mammoth Caves question

Idaho's Mammoth Cave

Is see where is says the guided tours are about an 1/2 hour, but has anyone here gone on the guided tour and made a day out of it? I'm a good ways away, and would be going out there for only Mammoth Caves.

Does the cost of cave entry cover the admission into the museum as well?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 AM  

Twin Falls, ID
It's actually one big cave, pretty cool though. I don't think you can make a day out of it unless you visit Shoshone Ice Caves as well. It is just down the road to the north from Mammoth Cave. I suppose, after going to the museum you can make a day out of it. Not sure of the cost, but if I recall, last time I went it was fairly cheap. Definitely some cool stuff in the museum and the guided tour at Shoshone Ice Caves is good. I walked through Mammoth Cave on my own.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM  

Idaho Falls, Idaho
If you want to spend a day, you might try adding Craters of the Moon National Monument. It's about an hour and a half from Mammoth Cave, but it has several lava tubes within hiking distance, as well as cinder cones and some unique landscapes. It's a lava flow younger than the pyramids!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM  

Nuke has a great point. The half hour tour of the Mammoth caves is about all the time you will need to spend there. There just isnt much to see.
Craters of the Moon is a pretty cool place to visit. I have been there a couple of times, the most recent trip was 12+ years ago so I do not know what all may have changed. I remember that we crawled through several lava tubes and there basically was no boundaries/restrictions on where we could go. Be aware that it is a situation where you control your own destiny. Only go into places where you are sure that you can get back out of.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Bookmark this Page!