Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Los Angeles, California
Please give me one good reason to visit Idaho

I would like to plan a tour of the U.S.A.
Would you help me decide where to go by giving us one good reason to visit your State.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM  

Rigby, Idaho
Well we did host UA2006 here, have the largest dunes in all of North America (St. Anthony), Have great mountain trails, killer skiing, hot springs, world class fishing and hunting, it is an outdoor paradise. If you are looking for some big town stuff Boise will be your only hope of that, but if you want some small town middle America where we still make stuff and grow things, then you will enjoy Idaho. We do things differently here, so expect a laid back attitude until you try to change what we do (a lot of UT and CA transplants have found out the hard way) or how we do it.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM  

Boise, Idaho
There are also tons of amazing old school drive in resturants and burger joints. West Side drive in in Boise is a place you really have to eat at.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 PM  

Kaysville, Utah
Napolian dinomite was filmed in preston! Oh and the FAMOUS PRESTON RODEO. . . and potatos. yes, im from utah, but i've spent my share of time up there. and whats his name isnt kidding about the Idaho mantailty, do not expect to get anywhere in a hurry or have anything done in a hurry, So just sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 PM  

Post Falls, Idaho
If you hit Idaho, I'd recomend going up north, myself. I think its much prettier country overall; southern Idaho can be quite flat and dry. Yes, I'm from the north, so I'm a bit biased

I've personally never seen a potato farm, though most of the farming is in the south. Head to Coeur d'alene! Its right on a lake. They hold the Ironman competition there in the summer, that would be a great event to come up and see.

If you like the outdoors, Idaho is the place to go.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM  

Meridian, ID
Nice Pug and nice Jeep. I have both as well. Not sure which is crazier.

All of the reasons above are right on the money, but I feel I need to give you a few warnings as well. Having lived in Riverside for a year, I am hoping to translate a few of the things that other folks from CA have run into. Just want you to be prepared.

1. You will not be able to see the air. Don't worry, it is still safe to breath, but it might not taste the same.

2. You might get a strange feeling when you walk down the street and people actualy look you in the eye and smile or even say "hello" when you pass them on the sidewalk. It is ok, they are not trying to hurt or trap you. Please try not to stare at them like they are crazy, just respond the same way and everything will be fine.

3. You won't have this problem in the Boise area, but outside of the Ada and Canyon county areas you can and will have more than 3 ft between you and the next car when you are doing 60 mph on the road. We actualy encourage it. Heck you might even travel for several miles without seeing another car. This is not a bad thing. So feel free to allow a car length or two between you and the next guy, we have a bit of room.

If you can get by these few things then the rest of the differences should not be a problem. Welcome.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM  

Boise, ID
One good reason.... if you own a Jeep and you like to take it out 4 wheelin' you are a hop and a skip away from a whole days worth of FUN!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM  

Kuna, ID
How about because you can stay in a bed and breakfast that used to be a hotel owned by Al Capone?

Other than that, it's just a great place. Lots of outdoor stuff to do; generally friendly people; outside of the strict urban areas, people rarely lock their doors.

Having been born and raised in southern Idaho (and some in central Idaho), I'd really like to take issue with what tai_66 said regarding northern vs. southern Idaho...but alas, tai_66 is generally correct in this regard. Most of southern Idaho is high mountain desert--which can be very beautiful and majestic in its own regard, but for me it just doesn't match nice green forests. Sure, there are some forested areas, but they are the exception in the south, where they are the norm in the northern half of the state. From about Cascade north, the state gets to be incredibly beautiful.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM  

Kuna, ID
Oh--one more reason...you can take the doors off your Jeep and not have to worry about getting mirror relocation brackets, because in Idaho you're only required to have a rearview mirror
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 PM  

idaho falls, id
a bit of advice....in idaho we don't care how you "did it" in california.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Idaho
Bookmark this Page!