Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM  

Oswego, IL
Getting used kegs

Anyone know where you can get / buy used 15.5 gallon kegs in the Chicago metro area? I'm a home brewer looking to get some for keggle conversions.

Thanks!!!

David

Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM  

Oswego, IL
I found me some .....$50 a piece, my source has more then I need so if you are interested in getting one let me know.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM  

St. louis
I havent made the step into kegging yet. Is it worth it in beer quality or just time?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM  

Oswego, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaijian View Post
I havent made the step into kegging yet. Is it worth it in beer quality or just time?
I guess I should be more descriptive, these kegs, which are the 15.5 gallon stainless steel sanke type are used either as keggles (brew pots, HLT hot liquor tank) or MLT (mash lauter tun). They can even be used as a SS fermenter. You cut a hole in the top of the keg and add attachments like valves, thermometers etc.

This allows a homebrewer to brew up to 10 gallons easily and is cheaper then most 15 gallon SS pots.

If you are referring to the 5.5 gallon "soda" kegs its not a matter of quality per se, its more about the ease of getting the beer ready to drink. You can force carb the beer and have it ready to drink sooner and control the amount of carbonation amount a beer has. So indirectly the quality can be controlled and maintained better but its the efficiency over bottling that is a bigger reward.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM  

Northern 'Burbs, Illinois
Once you keg, you never go back! Was just looking at some pictures of old batches and I can't even imagine going back to bottling, so much easier and for me a much better beverage off tap. Good luck on the keggles.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM  

+1 on the kegs. 5 gallon batches are a thing of the past!!! On;y problem is that they are heavy!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM  

Oswego, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
+1 on the kegs. 5 gallon batches are a thing of the past!!! On;y problem is that they are heavy!
My goal is to be an indoor electric brewer, brewing in a room especially for this purpose in my basement. So I will be making these into e-keggles and building a nice sturdy stand to place them on because they are gonna be heavy like you said.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM  

Carol Stream, IL
I've often said that if kegging was not an option, I never would have started homebrewing. And 10 gallon batches are da bomb! I run a 50' line from my patio keggle to my basement fermenter, so heavy is not an issue.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM  

Chicago, IL
Craigslist
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM  

Oswego, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
Craigslist
Already got me some, thanks though...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.