Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM  

How can you have a seat belt law and not a helmet law?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM  

This is America let those who ride decide. We have a very strong lobby in Illinois ,we have broken the back of every helmet law to come down the pike . When did this country start needing the government to be our nanny ,and we will have a concealed carry soon ,everyone should go to the Illinois Rifle Association and register to go down to springfield for IGOLD.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM  

If you read the label on the helmet ,it says this helmet is designed to protect you fro a crash at 5mph or less , when ever a helmet law is passed the number of acidents causing a rider to be paralised increases , if your over 18 you should have the right to choose, its not the governments job let those who ride decide
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
I think its the persons choice. They arent going to hurt anyone but themselves by not wearing a helmet.
Not quite true. The initial medical care for the acute phase for a major head injury is almost $100,000. Who pays for the cost of the head injured person after the acute phase, when they need months of rehab or never get back to a funtioning state? Who do you think is paying for this? The insurance company is. (If the person has insurance) How do you think the insurance company gets the money back? They charge everyone else more. Wearing a helmet has been shown to reduce the numbers of severe head injuries, thus reducing the overall cost to the healthcare system. I know that helmets do not stop all head injuries, but they do reduce the numbers. I know that they do not reduce neck injuries, which are a major problem. I am not aware of any kind of device that would help reduce neck injuries and not reduce ones driving ability. Some people will say that helmets reduce thier driving ability. If this is true, it is the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of people do not suffer and adverse affects from wearing a helmet.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM  

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM  

look at the studies ,yes it reduces head injurys but neck and spine injurys go up , a helmet bounces when it hits the street. I dont think the goverment needs to worry about helmets or seatbelts ,they need to worry about things they are suposed to worry about. Our founding Fathers created this government because they had a nanny state telling them what to do , they made it so we would have limited government. When did we stop being self relient and need the government to tell us how to live our lives.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM  

You can show me a study that says helmets lead to more neck injuries. I can probably show you a study that says that there are more neck injuries because more people are surviving the head injury. Look, I agree that more rules are not neccessarily better. Ther problem is that far to many people are not self reliant. Far to many people make poor choices that others have to pay for. I have worked in trauma centers for many years, both in states with helmet laws and without. I can say, first hand, that I have not seen an increase in spinal injuries. I have seen an increase in head injury survivors. Just an observation from treating these people. I can also say that a helmet has saved my life more than once.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM  

So we should just pay the insurance companys our money and ban any acts the government deems unsafe ,if Im reading this corectly people are not self relient because they have insurance and they make a choice that you say is iresponsable . You see the Declaration of Independence says the government gets its powers from us ,it doesnt say they get to control us. We hold these truths to be self -evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights ,that among these are life ,liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM  

We don't have a choice but to pay the insurance companies. You see, the requirement for insurance is already established. You can quote the Declaration all you want. The fact still remains that, by paying higher and higher insurance permiums because of increased costs adversely impacts my pursuit of happiness.

The interesting thing here is that I have never spoken to someone who bounced there helmeted head off the ground who regretted wearing a helmet. Every person who bounced there non-helmeted head off the ground (who could talk) wished they had a helmet on.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM  

Elgin, Illinois
wearing helmets is no different that seat belts. it's a safety thing. I don't understand why a helmet law has never happened. It doesn't make sense to me. If the government is gonna stick their nose in our business and tell us to wear seat belts, then why not helmets?

Anyway, I wore a seat belt before the law and always wore a helmet on motorcycles. It's only common sense.

I say forget the laws and if people don't want to wear seat belts or helmets, let them. if they die, then the gene pool gets that much better.

It really is a choice that we should be able to make for ourselves. The government has no business telling us that we should or shouldn't do that. I can see the need for under 18, but it should stop at that.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!