Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2010, 03:09 PM  

Oswego, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Check out the PALE brew club in Plainfield. We meet the first Thursday of each month.

PALEBREWERS.ORG
Funny you should mention it... I found it the other day, signed up for the FB group and plan on going to the meeting on January 6th!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 AM  

First Batch

Got a Homebrew Kit for Christmas. Anyone got any good ideas for a first batch. Mainly looking for something easy that will still taste good. Since it's cold I would like to stick with a stout or porter.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 AM  

Oswego, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by woollymammoth View Post
Got a Homebrew Kit for Christmas. Anyone got any good ideas for a first batch. Mainly looking for something easy that will still taste good. Since it's cold I would like to stick with a stout or porter.
I take it you got an equipment kit so you are probably looking for an ingredient kit. I would recommend getting an extract kit from either Northern Brewer Home Brewing or Midwest Supplies

Both have excellent extract with specialty grain kits (though I tend to prefer Northern Brewer's selections). IMO, these kits will yield better brews compared to a straight up all extract kit.

They have plenty of Stout and Porter kits. For your first time out don't attempt a high gravity beer, so stay away from anything with Double or Imperial added to the name. These brews are more difficult to brew and will cause you all sorts of troubles, something you don't need until you have a few brew under your belt.

Hope that helps.
David
Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM  

plainfield, il
Can't wait for the first PALE meeting on 1/6.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 PM  

Chicago, IL
I will be driving from Elgin to Saint Charles tomorrow for the monthly meeting of Silverado home brew. Sampling the holiday and winter brews will be great.

Silverado Home Page

Maybe I will see some of you there.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 PM  

Chicago, IL
I'm not too far away. Aurora. I joined the MASH home brewers. I know it seems like a good bit of distance from me But I spend my summers on The Illinoid River. They are a real good bunch a people too!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM  

In Dekalb, a bit far from you guys. Been doing to the extract stuff for a while now but getting sick of add this bag, boil, then add that bag....you get the idea. Ive been making my own recipes to find my "perfect" irish red ale.

Anyone culture thier own yeast. Ive been doing it for a few weeks now and man it helps bring the cost of a batch down. Pretty easy too.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM  

NorthWest Side, IL
In Crystal Lake. Been brewing for several years, mainly all grain.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM  

Rockford, IL
Live just outside Rockford and have been brewing for about 14 years. Started with 5 gallon extract for about ten batches then stepped up to partial mash for a few more. Got sick of bottling so I gave it up for a little while. Got back into it about 6 years ago and went all grain 12.5 gallon batches with a full kegging system. Now I've got 20 cornys and two beer fridges that can server/lager 6 kegs each. I also grow my own hops.
Homebrewers of Oswego and surrounding areas-dscf1599.jpg 

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM  

Chicago, IL
beautiful looking hops Coiz!
I started out brewing kits from Northern Brewery, so all extract some partial. At this point I don't think I'll be going full grain. Making good beer, and creating my own recipes, so until I get bored-I'll keep going this way.
I also make my own Meads and wines. And make flavored spirits and sryups for my tropical cocktail making friends.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.