Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM  

Anyone actually pay taxes for online purchases?

I just tried to order something on the playstation store and was suprised they where charging me sales tax because they had never done that before. I have never been charged sales tax on amazon before. Now I go to the Indiana Department of Revenue website and it says you ware supposed to track your purchases and pay the sales tax and send it to them. I have no intention of doing anything of the sort. I have never heard of that stupid law and they have never enforced it before. My opinion is if you want sales tax collect it at the time of the purchase. Anyone actually send them a check for sales tax on amazon purchases?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM  
Mom, Jeeps and Apple Pie!

Indianapolis, IN
I believe the law in Indiana states that if you purchase something online and it is shipped within the state, then you pay sales tax. if you purchase something and it is shipped from outside Indiana, you do NOT pay sales tax.

BUT this will also depend on the state from which the item is shipped. their law applies to the purchase as well.

I'm in the auto parts business and we ship within the State of Indiana as well as outside the state. these are the guidelines we have been told to follow.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM  

Terre Haute, IN
Elaborating on Navy's post, If the company, say Amazon, has a warehouse in Indiana, but your item ships from California, you will still be charged sales tax. The reason being that said company has a location or office in the state, thus being able to charge taxes.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM  

IN
I believe, according to tax law, you are all correct in that you are only charged sales tax if there is a location of the company actually in the state. But I think the original post was asking about filing taxes. In which you are actually supposed to declare anything purchased online and pay taxes at that point, after the fact. It can't be charged at the time of purchase because the company can't actually collect in that state, but you are supposed to be honest and pay it yourself when you file your taxes- that being said, I don't think anyone does...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 AM  

indianapolis, in
Heck no, they get too much of my funds already.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM  

Indiana
I honestly have no idea. I guess I should pay more attention to exactly where my money goes. Usually if I like the final number I hit "buy". I also just found out about the e-sales tax thing a few weeks ago.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Bookmark this Page!