Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 PM  

Modesto, California
Deer hunting?

Friend of mine moved to Indiana and I was thinking of coming out there for a deer hunt in November. Is it worth it what should I expect. Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM  
Deaf & Powder Burned...

Washington, So.West Indiana
The deer are THICK this year...
Dry year, so they ate everything off as high up as they could reach, and they are REAL PESTS!
Come kill some so they don't collide with my vehicles this year!
I'm tired of putting front ends on my vehicles!

We stopped and counted 34 in one group on Monday,
I saw 12 milling around in a field this morning were we picked corn last week.
It's bow season here now, so the 'Hunters' are all out in the state areas trying to find a deer in the woods.
Not smart enough to figure out the deer are all in corn fields picking up what the corn pickers missed, or what the off loading process spilled!

Hunting skinny fence rows (Trees that have grown up in fence lines) is the best place to knock one right now, they eat, bed down, and don't move much until the corn rots or gets eaten from this years harvest...
Just some farm boy information there if you decide to come this way!

Good cool nights are starting to throw the bucks into full rut, if antler hunting is your thing...
Personally, I don't hang dead animal parts on my walls,
And you can cook antlers in a pressure cooker for a week,
And STILL not be able to stick a fork in the gravy!

I hunt young bucks, or young does, better meat for the freezer!

Do you bow hunt or firearm hunt?
We have seasons for muzzle loader, shot gun, 'Cowboy' rifles (large pistol caliber) and bow seasons here.
Something for about everyone.

If you know someone here with farm land, you can get what's called a 'Land Owners' tag,
You simply have the land owner put his name on a piece of paper and you don't have to buy license...
Otherwise, you have to have license for hunting.

Knowing someone you can use their address will get you a 'Local' license, which is cheaper.

Anyway, if you decide to come this way, be sure to get yourself 2 or 3 while you are hear...
I'm tired of the insurance rates going up after the 'Little Woman' bangs one or two about every year!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM  

La Porte, Indiana
Headline in this morning's South Bend Trib (or yesterday's La Porte Herald-Argus) says the Indiana DNR is expecting a record harvest of deer this year.

earl
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM  

indianapolis, indiana
I hunt erevy year, you should definatly do it.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 PM  

Modesto, California
I figure 180 bucks for two tags and 288 for round trip flight plus shipping the meat to myself sounds like a cheap hunt with almost guaranteed sucsess. Horns are horns and meat is meat. I may do it. And maybe even meet up with you for a beer jeep hammer. I owe you that for all the help with my jeep transmission.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
Man, where are you guys hunting? I can't ever find deer unless i'm at work or driving...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM  
Deaf & Powder Burned...

Southern Indiana is over run with deer this year, happens about every 5 years or so.
There will be so many there will be starvation issues every 5 to 10 years, and the deer population is on the up swing again.

A few years back, they ate everything off in the Brown county park up as far as they could reach and they would follow you around begging for food...

I saw a couple of groups this morning, 6 or 7 in one group, and about 20 in the second...
You can't drive ANYWHERE at night around here without seeing them...
They are THICK this year again!

They have introduced bob cats and cougars to the area to try and thin them out, since giving away virtually unlimited tags didn't work,
People simply got tired of hauling them out of the woods and quit hunting...

Speaking of bob cats...

Trying to catch a guy stealing pipes, but got this instead!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
I don't know if i'd want to run into a bobcat in the woods.... most certainly not a cougar...
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 AM  
Deaf & Powder Burned...

You will probably never see either one.
I've lived around here most of my life, and I've only seen them a few times, fleeting glimpses.
There is so much game around here they never have to interact with humans.

The reason they are still here is they are VERY shy of humans,
If they were bold, they would be rugs in short order.

The only time I've seen a bob cat for any sustained period of time was deer hunting once,
It was coming over a ridge, got to where my trail in crossed his, and he was gone like a shot once he caught human smell.

Like I said, your chances are better of winning the lottery than laying eyes on a bob cat around here...
But the are here.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 AM  

Pendleton, Indiana
I'm going for the first time of my life this year. Heading south with a friend and taking my new .44 cal. He has guanteed a kill, most likly by him cuz I don't have a stand yet.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads