Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM  

Roundabouts

Also called rotarys in other parts, these are all over carmel indiana and they are awesome for traffic flow no more stop signs, no more stop lights and long waits, the ones over keystone are brilliant for east west travel and north south travel.
I find myself wishing there were more of these around, anyone else? Like them?
Hate them? What is a roundabout/rotary? Im curious let me know.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
I have family in Carmel. They seem to like them.....when people know how to use them...

I myself am not 100% sure on how they work...

Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM  

indianapolis, in
An excellent solution to traffic backups in suburbia. I love em!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 AM  

The keystone roundabouts are by far the best ones in the Carmel area. The commute through there is so much smoother. Only gripe I have with roundabout are the ppl that don't know how to navigate them, but there will always be idiot drivers on the road :-/
Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 AM  
American

They suck. Stupidest idea I ever saw. You that like them must drive small cars. Try getting a truck and trailer through one. Pedestrians are at risk walking across the road. No lights for them to have the right of way. Bicyclists are more at risk from trucks because of the squeeze effect they create. They create a game of chicken. Don't even try and say I can't drive...I raced for 20 years drive trucks professionally and can out drive most of you ...that's not the issue. They at least have begun to build them bigger which helps. The first ones in Carmel were so small even school buses could not fit in one lane all the way around. I don't like the little bit left then right aspect at all. They toss you from side to side ...stupid stupid stupid idea. Some states have started yanking them back out....Indiana ...always behind.
Until you have tried driving a truck and trailer around one you have no clue about how much they suck. If you don't believe me look at the tire marks on the curbs surrounding them. How would you like them if it was your kid standing on the inside walk waiting to cross when a truck trailers rear tires hops the curb and runs over them. I can't wait for the morons who are building them to realize how much they suck and get rid of them...another waste of millions of dollars.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
They suck. Stupidest idea I ever saw. You that like them must drive small cars. Try getting a truck and trailer through one. Pedestrians are at risk walking across the road. No lights for them to have the right of way. Bicyclists are more at risk from trucks because of the squeeze effect they create. They create a game of chicken. Don't even try and say I can't drive...I raced for 20 years drive trucks professionally and can out drive most of you ...that's not the issue. They at least have begun to build them bigger which helps. The first ones in Carmel were so small even school buses could not fit in one lane all the way around. I don't like the little bit left then right aspect at all. They toss you from side to side ...stupid stupid stupid idea. Some states have started yanking them back out....Indiana ...always behind.
Until you have tried driving a truck and trailer around one you have no clue about how much they suck. If you don't believe me look at the tire marks on the curbs surrounding them. How would you like them if it was your kid standing on the inside walk waiting to cross when a truck trailers rear tires hops the curb and runs over them. I can't wait for the morons who are building them to realize how much they suck and get rid of them...another waste of millions of dollars.
I agree completely.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think you guys in Indiana just don't know how to build a proper roundabout

We have a few around here and they work great even for the largest trucks. But I can see how an undersized and poorly designed one could create havoc.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 AM  

Shuswap, BC
The only problem with roundabouts is there isn't many of them here, we need a LOT more cause they rock!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM  

Fishers, IN
I hated these things when I first moved here, but eventually, I got used to them. Now I think they're awesome, cause I hate stop lights!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 AM  
American

Yeah I have suspected for a while people who don't stop at stop signs would like the dang things. How you all like the tall grass at the one on Olio road and old 238? Even more fun when you can't see on coming traffic. That grass is just getting started. Wait until we get some rain.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Indiana
Bookmark this Page!