Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM  

Ames, Iowa
Martial Arts Studios in Ames

Here from Ames, does anyone know of a good studio for martial arts? I was thinking of getting my kids into it, but I haven't heard much buzz about any good ones.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 AM  

des moines, iowa
I used to take classes from Family Martial Arts Center down on Main Street, It was run by the Shilkiates's. They were wonderful. Of coarse this was a long time ago, so I dont know if they are still there or open or not. Another place you could check is at ISU, a teacher by the name of Master Pak teaches there and is one of the best around.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 AM  

Des Moines, Iowa
Agreed - check with Grandmaster Pak at ISU. I don't know if they do child classes (unlikely), but his program has been around long enough to have created a large family of martial art practitioners and teachers in the area. I take Hapkido in Des Moines from a member of the Pak family of martial arts.

Grandmaster Pak is an 8th degree black belt in Taekwondo and Hapkido, and a 6th degree black belt in Judo, so he'd know a lot about all of those programs in the area (as most likely studied under him at some point!).

And I can at least say that as of 2006, the Family Martial Arts Center on Main Street was still in business. I used to live on Main Street and saw lots of young'uns in uniform running around in the evenings.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads