Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 PM  

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Mediacom Monopoly?

Has anyone else noticed that Mediacom can do pretty much whatever they want? Now, I believe in a capitalist society, but these guys are just doing whatever they please. Now their advertising the YES Network to their customers? I understand that there are plenty of Yankee fans all over the country, I am one myself. However, they fail to advertise (with the exception of one short sentence) the fact that with the service, you don't get to see any games, just Yankee "original programming." I am afraid that some poor customer and fellow Yankee fan will subscribe to the service then wonder why they don't see a single game. Does anyone else feel the same about this issue? Or perhaps you've had a similar experience with the company?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 PM  

Farmington, Iowa
My parents have media com. They have some good scams. The Internet, Digital TV etc and do what they want and work half the time. I have Dish, Not too much better but at least priced better. If you have a problem hope you have a month too lol

Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 AM  

Des Moines, Iowa
the tricks that are usally useful with media com are calling in and telling them that you want to cancel your service, sometimes they will be able to offer you a lower price for the same package. its somtimes a lot of running around but there are times that it can work out.

The other, is they are harder to find. but for some reason, when I was at ISU, we had a 18 yr old kid come and do our cable hookup. it was 15 bucks amonth and we had 350 channels...

it can be sketchy but somtimes the signs on the side of the road for meidacom installed are legit.

Also you can just buy the internet and as long as it is coax and not DSL you can branch it off to your TV and get at least the basic 35 if not more.

But yes... they do have a monopoly going.

I tried to sign up for windstream but they seem like a bunch of pricks about everything.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM  

Coralville, IA
Yep, Mediacon is unfortunately the only option in most cases. We only have them for "high-speed" internet, but wish we had someone else. Would love to see FIOS come to town.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM  

Clinton, IA
Just get some Direct TV, its so much better than cable.

I wish qwest would get their stuff together and some FIOS like fiber optics run throughout IA, I have been on their waiting list for this for years.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM  

Washington, Iowa
I've had both positive and negative experiences with mediacom. When I lived in iowa city, it was nothing but a headache and speeds 1/6 of what was promised. I moved to Washington and I've gotten a consistent 11 megs and minimal down time, where as iowa telecom was double the price for that speed. The monopoly has its ups and down.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM  

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They are bad, but i'd say Alliant Energy is worse. There is NO other option but them.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM  

Davenport, Iowa
I was just thinking about Mediacom this morning. I am actually okay with their high-speed internet; it does go down sometimes, but it seems like that is happening less often lately.

Their cable tv is what makes me sad. It seems like every channel that I want to watch... I don't get. The least they could do is hide it from me in the guide; but no, I have to actually go to the channel to see if I am entitled to watch it or not.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM  

Chicago, IL
Just hold on... Comcast will buy them up pretty soon. Then you can get everything you have now plus better & faster service, larger selections, better prices....not that I'm promoting them or anything, but that was one of the best parts about moving from Iowa.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM  

Fort Madison, Iowa
I have mediacom. The internet is top notch for me screaming fast and it has yet to go down. The cable service however... I agree with hugepossum you have to goto the channel before you find out you dont get it. My parents have Dish. You can hit the guide button again on theirs and it takes away all the channels you cant get. The DVR for mediacom is a joke. It always goes out on me the fast forward and reverse functions are a joke. When you are using them they skip forwards or backwards depending on what you are doing and it goes way past the point you were shooting for. Dish has a skip forward button that makes it extremely easy. A friend as Directtv and the dvr on that is even better than dish. Get with it mediacom.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!