Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Maid Rites esp. Taylor's in Marshalltown.

Adventureland.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM  

Cedar Falls, Iowa
Oh yeah, Taylor's Maid Rites are great! But since this IS a beer forum, I assume our poster would like to hear more about beer joints, too. Des Moines is a very good beer destination. 3 microbreweries, Court Ave (the best in my opinion, food is pricy, but rocks), Rock Bottom (I know, it's a chain but they have a brewmaster who makes his own recipes, too, and they are awesome!) and Raccon River (not my favorite, but the food is good and beer is drinkable). Someone already mentioned the High Life lounge which is attached to El Bait Shop, over 100 taps with some hard to find beers. There are several other bars with some good tap selections, check beerfly.com. We also have the Iowa Cubs, Farm team for Chicago and the stadium is walkable to several of the aforementioned places. The downtown hotels are all connected by 2nd story walkways and some good deals can be found by bidding on priceline. Northeast Iowa has some great parks and geological formations, caves, etc. And our people are very friendly and love tourists. Hope to see you!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM  

Rhinelander, Wisconsin
One word RAGBRAI. you will have to research it, but it is the coolest thing and the residents of Iowa are the friendliest people you will ever meet. But to truly experience the best Iowa has to offer you must RAGBRAI
Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM  

granite city in davenport is a micro brewery/restaurant, i'd check them out if one's ever in town..
Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 PM  

Cedar Falls, Iowa
Oh yeah, I forgot: If you're gay, you can get married here.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM  

Baxter, Iowa
I would check out the Loess Hills (or vote for all the other posts) since it one of only 2 places in the world to have that amount of Loess. Also, check out our walnut trees in Iowa- most of the WORLDs walnut comes form Iowa.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM  

Polk City, Iowa, Iowa
Tall corn! Lots and lots of corn, plus the best sweet corn! (only in the growing season
Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM  

davenport, Iowa
well.... in Davenport / eastern Iowa you can
Enjoy great Ice Cream at Whities
Great Pizza from Happy Joes - The happy Joes special is canadian bacon and sourcraut
see the mississippi river
the fouth of july celebration is done in the middle of the mississippi
We have the River Bandits for baseball, and the mallards for hockey
a few microbrew pubs - front street, great river, bent river, blue cat just to name a couple
we make Bojies mustard and you can tour their factory.
the skybridge , which doesnt really go anywhere but is a cool overlook
Figgie Art museum, Putnam natural history museum wiht IMAX, and my fav. the Family museum.
Bike trails of about 40-50 miles along the river
Ragbri - which we are hoping we can get to end here.
Same weekend as the biggest jazz festival - BIX
They also do a 7mi merathon run BIX7.com

River Roots music festival & BBQ contest

So much stuff!!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM  

Chicago, IL
Hy-vee

I moved from IA about 12 years ago. Its the one place that just cant exist anywhere else. Damn I miss those friendly smiles in every isle
Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post

The only reason to come to Iowa is that it will connect you to Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Etc. Other than that there is no trails unless you know a person with private land.
Uh, that is not true at all. Go to Decorah, IA if you want to see some of the best hiking and mountain biking trails around. Better yet, don't.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads